LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does CVI install the LabVIEW Run-Time Engine?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

running the NI Update Service suggests to download a 226 MB patch for the LabVIEW 2012 Run-Time Engine... (all I installed knowingly was CVI2012)

--> How can I check if the computer has this engine installed, what is the file name to search for (and is it needed by CVI)?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,250 Views)

Hello,

1) You can use Measurement And Automation Explorer (MAX) to see the National Instruments Softwares installed:

MAX

2) Some CVI softwares use the Labview runtime.

By example, when you use the CVI Menu: Help / Find Examples... , you launch NIExampleFinder.exe which uses the labview runtime:

Process Explorer

3) When you install the NI-VISA library, the software C:\VXIPNP\WinNT\NIvisa\NIvisaic.exe is also installed. This utility is a Labview Software.

I think it's difficult to avoid the Labview runtime on a computer with NI softwares installed...

Message 2 of 8
(4,247 Views)

Thanks!

The computer in question has no measurement hardware, hence no MAX, VISA, device drivers are installed...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,244 Views)

side note:

ahh, it happended again, it took me too long to edit the reply, I ran out of time, and everything has been discarded. When will NI/Lithium increase the time limit for edit operations... Smiley Frustrated

Thanks (and merci) for partially answering my question!

So searching the hard disk I found that indeed lvrt.dll is installed, in Program Files\National Instruments\Shared\LabVIEW Run-Time\2012

My remaining question(s):

- Do I really need this DLL or is it installed just as standard?

- This involves the question if I should download and install the 226 MB patch to fix a tiny (13 MB) DLL...?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,238 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Wolfgang

Wolfgang,

The LabVIEW run-time engine is not necessary for any CVI program to run, but it is a dependency of some of the ADE tools, such as the Example Finder and the Distributed System Manager (used to configure network variables).

Luis

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,225 Views)

Thanks, Luis, for sharing the information Smiley Happy

Since I am using the Example Finder I seem to be dependent on LabVIEW...

I am not going to ask why the patch of a DLL is 20 times as large as the DLL to be replaced Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,222 Views)

The patch of the DLL is large because the Labview runtime is made of many libraries (not only lvrt.dll): the size of the Directory: Program Files\National Instruments\Shared\LabVIEW Run-Time\2012 is > 80MB.
The Labview runtime is not tiny Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,204 Views)

@jm73 wrote:

The Labview runtime is not tiny Smiley Wink

D'accord - I did not intend to offend any LabVIEW programmer...Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,201 Views)