LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Documentation generator directly from C source files

Hello,

Is there any tool to generate HTML documentation directly from C sources files using Documentation Tags like "/// HIFN "?

I know we can generate documentation with function panels documentation generator but that's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for something like doxygen or javadoc with NI documentation tags support. 

Regards,

Aurélien.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(6,060 Views)

Hello,

In LabWindows CVI, there isn't tool which can allow you to generate automatically HTML documentation from C sources, like with eclipse for exemple (java).

Regards,

Nacer M. | Certified LabVIEW Architecte

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(6,036 Views)

Ok, thanks for your answer.

Regards,

Aurélien R.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(6,031 Views)
Salut,

Les tags te permettent de documenter des fonctions , indispensable lorsque plusieurs developpers sont amené à modifier le pojet CVI.
Pour une doc externe à fournir au client par exemple, j'utilise doxygen. Il te permet via des balises simples de géner une doc HTML, XML ou un fichier chm.
Cet outil est gratuit et téléchargeable.

++
Kamal
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(5,972 Views)

HI,

we use in our company "doxygen" (doxygen.org), a tool which can create the documentation from special comments  in c (or h) files. It's possible to add a CVI-docu-stylish parser to this open-source-tool. We've also a small prog, which translates the cvi-HIFN to some tags which can be used by doxygen, I will have to look for...

regards

Peter

Message 5 of 11
(5,930 Views)

Thank you very much for all your answers. I'll take a look on Doxygen.

Aurélien

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(5,857 Views)

Instead of using a separate tool for replacing CVI tags with doxygen tags before running doxygen,

you might also use the doxygen input filter.

I use "sed.exe" (unix Stream EDitor) from the cygwin package as input filter. (you need to copy sed.exe, cygconv-2.dll, cygintl3.dll and cygwin1.dll to your doxygen bin folder) .

Add the input filter to your Doxyfile, e.g.:

INPUT_FILTER = "sed 's/HIFN//g;s/HIPAR/\\\param/g;s/HIRET/\\\return/g'"

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(5,089 Views)

INPUT_FILTER           = "sed '/HIPAR/s/^\// /4;/HIRET/s/^\// /4;s/HIFN//g;s/HIPAR/\\\param/g;s/HIRET/\\\return/g'"

(same as before but replaces every 4th slash of every HIPAR/HIRET line with blank)

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(5,078 Views)

Has anyone here tried the open source project Natural Docs?  It looks to be very unobtrusive (unlike Doxygen) to your existing commenting style.

I have not yet implemented it in my code, but I'm going to give it a whirl.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(4,523 Views)

Hello AReeves!

LabWindows/CVI features a documentation generation tool able to output HTML and XML format documentation from your C source files.

You can use the source code documentation tags (e.g. HIFN, HIPAR, etc) to document your functions in the source code, similar to doxygen.

The option is located in Build » Target Settings » Generate source code documentation. There you can select your output format.

Here is a useful link related to generating documentation from source files using CVI:

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370051T-01/cvi/usermanual/tagsforsourcecode/

Regards,

- Johannes

Message 10 of 11
(4,503 Views)