LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distribution kit in LabWindows/CVI 5.5

I want to create a distribution kit (using CVI 5.5) consisting of a single file rather than the several files normally produced for my largish application. CVI restricts the size of the distribution medium to 1.44Mb. Is there a way round this?
If I choose to produce a distribution using (Microsoft) InstallShield, what support files do I need to include? Are there any problems with this?
Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,708 Views)
> I want to create a distribution kit (using CVI 5.5) consisting of a
> single file rather than the several files normally produced for my
> largish application. CVI restricts the size of the distribution medium
> to 1.44Mb. Is there a way round this?

You can set the size to be as big as you want, for instance 650Mb for a bunch of CDs. But the
installation program will be separate from the installation file.
You can create a self installing zip file if you want only one file fits all.
--
Guillaume Dargaud
http://www.gdargaud.net/
"When, however, the lay public rallies round an idea that is denounced by distinguished but
elderly scientists and supports that idea with great fervor and emotion - the distinguished but
elderly scientists are then, after al
l, probably right." - Isaac Asimov (1920-1992), in answer
to Clarke's First Law.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,708 Views)
Mr. Dargaud's answer is not entirely true for LabWindows\CVI Version 5.5 (and earlier). The upper limit of 1.44MB is implicit in the capabilities provided via the project's user interface (Build->Create Distribution Kit ...)

In our instance we have since migrated to CVI Version 7.0 - but even here, multiple files are created (a .cab file (which contains the majority of the files previously contained under XXX.001 - XXX.00n files) plus 3 .exe's, a .ini, and a .msi file) However, many zip tools have the facility to create a self-extracting .exe file which, when run, can be told to run a file after extraction. We use PowerArchiver and have successfully deployed the distribution kits as a single .exe file which runs the included "setup.exe" file (produced by the dis
tribution kit tool) after extracting the multitude of 1.44MB files.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,708 Views)