From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distribution Kit somtimes works somtimes not

I'm trying to put my program on disks, so I'm using the the "Create Distribution Kit...", but it doesn't work properly.
I already tried to make a new project (several times )and included all my header and c files and sometimes labwindows creates my disks and sometimes it doesn't.
it seemed that the possibilty of the creation depends on the path names, but not necessarily. so i put my project on a network folder and could still not create it, but a co-worker of mine could from his computer.
does anyone have an idea?
i'm using cvi 5.5.

thanks,
didi
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,880 Views)
Didi,

I belive this will have to do with the path name; however not the location of the file, but because of spaces in the name. Due to the technology that CVI 5.5 uses for the installer you are not allowed to use spaces in the path names.

Please take a look at this document and let me know if you have any questions.

Unable to Use Directory Names That Contain Spaces with the CVI 5.5 Create Distribution Kit

Regards,

Juan Carlos
N.I.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,880 Views)
thanky you, juan, for your help, but i still cannot create my disks properly.
i already searched the whole ni faq.

the problem is, i cannot create a distribution kit from my computer, but a co-worker of mine can from his computer, although all the files are in the same directoy.

i copied the project files, consisting off my c and header files, the icon and the project file itself to a folder which my co worker can access. he did nothing but clicking on "create ditribution kit" - and it worked. i did the same and it did not work.
the folder name: p:\change\!! bla bla\
yes, there are spaces and he could make the disks

the creation starts and aborts after compressing the softspy.exe (the name of my program) with a pop-up:
"Error during build. MediaB
uilder return code 2"

bye,
didi
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,880 Views)
Hello,

The only thing that comes to mind was that there was an issue with the distribution kit with CVI 5.5 that cuased problems when there is more than 4GB of free space on the building machine. This may be why you are having it work on some machines and not others.

Regards,
Jeff
NI
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,880 Views)
Thank you, Jeff.

But that doesn't help either. I had almost 6GB of free disk space, copied a few files and then had less than 4GB - no effect. Still the same error: "MediaBuilder return code 2".
Does anyone have an idea, what this return code means?
BTW i'm using Windows2000

didi
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,880 Views)