From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distribution Build in XP gets unexpected popups

When ever I build a distribution Kit in CVI 6.0 in XP, I get unexpected dialog boxes that pop up as shown in the attached file. Cancelling these dialogs allows the distribution build to successfully continue. This occurs at least twice during the build process. What settings in XP and/or CVI would prevent this from occurring?

FWIW, this project was originally developed in CVI 6.0 on a Windows NT machine.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,792 Views)
It is good that you are using Windows XP. What I need you to do is right click on the MyComputer icon either on the desktop or in the start menu. Select Manage from the context menu. This should bring up the Computer Management Console. One of the selections under system tools is Event Viewer. Under this select Application.

Now go back and cause the dialog to appear again using the distribution kit. You should have 2 new entries in the application event log. Please send those to us fully expanded so we can see all the information. This will allow us to figure out what is installed incorrectly so that you can stop getting these dialogs.

Regards,
Jeff
NI
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,792 Views)
Hi,

I don't think this problem is related to the specific project that you are building but to the CVI instalation you are using. The first thing to try is to build a distribution kit from another project and see if you get the same dialogs.

One thing that you can try to "repair" the installation; just go to the control panel -> Add/Remove Programs and select CVI; there should be an option to "change" the installation, there should be an option for repair installation. This should make sure that the installation is complete and that the required components are registered. Make sure that you are logged in with administrative privileges.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Juan Carlos
N.I.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,792 Views)
Jeff,

I've included the dialogs for the application issues that came up when the installer runs. If I leave the Measurement Studio 6 Installer CD in the drive, it tries to run the installer from there.

On a hunch, based on the possibility that CVI needed to be 'repaired' I let the MS 6 Installer run. It did something (no dialog as to what), and then asked for me to register the install. Then quit with a request for a reboot. After that, repeated distribution builds completed without any popups. Restarting CVI caused the prompt for entering the Registration #. It appears that this has resolved the problem, As I no longer get the installer popup.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,792 Views)
Juan Carlos,

I tried this, and my version of XP did not have Measurement Studio Listed and did not have the option to edit the installation in Add/Remove Programs. Installing the MS 6 CD and letting it do it's thing (as described in Jeff's post) seemed to clear this up. Possibly rebooting the machine allowed me to see MS 6 in Add/Remove Programs and be able to edit the installation. I have no idea what caused this, and why XP was acting flakey, but it appears to be fixed now.

You just gotta love MS Windows...
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,792 Views)