LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital I/O board not compatible with the code generated by CVI?

I have a Garnet-MM digital I/O board by Diamond Systems. My system runs on Win 95. From day one I started having problems with the board. Windows tends to crash every other three days due to a problem with the I/O board.

On the software side, the Diamond Systems web page for the Garnet says that the driver is compatible specifically with Microsoft C and QuickC. Is it possible that the code generated by LabWindows/CVI is not compatible with the driver? Even if two different compilers are ANSI C compliant, there's no guarantee that they will compile the same source code into exactly the same machine code. What would happen if you used a different compiler to compile the source code that is generated by La
bWindows/CVI? Could I use a different compiler?

Thanks,
Sebnem
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,515 Views)
It is extremely unlikely that the CVI compiler is causing this issue. If there were issues in using this driver with CVI versus another compiler, they would show up at compilation, not execution. Things like if they were using data types available in the other compilers but not in CVI, or C++ code, etc. You could use a different compiler, but you would probably see the same behavior. We support compilation of our code in other environments and have external libraries and headers you can use, but I can't see it helping your problem.

Best Regards,

Chris Matthews
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,515 Views)
I agree with Chris: it doesn't sound like a compiler-specific problem.
How do you know the crash is "due to a problem with the I/O board"? Are any errors displayed when the system crashes?
If the crash doesn't happen randomly when the program first starts but only happens after the program has been running for days, maybe you have a memory leakage problem. Are you dynamically allocating memory that you don't release (e.g., calling malloc without calling free)?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,515 Views)