LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between a win2k and winNT driver

Solved!
Go to solution

When drivers are loaded they either go under c:\vxipnp\winNT or win2K, what's the difference?

I was given a change request to change all winnt drivers to win2k drivers. However, no one knows the difference. Is a Dilbertonian PHB request or is there a major distinction that I just don't know about.

Thanks

"Lockheed" Joe
Testing Blog"
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,038 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author LockheedJoe

The C:\vxipnp directory is the old VXIplug&play root directory. The new location for VXIplug&play drivers is under the IVI Foundation Root directory which is normally:

<ProgramFilesDir>\IVI Foundation\VISA\

Directories underneath the root directory map to the system framework to which the instrument driver applies. The WinNT system framework maps to 32-bit operating systems. Win64 system framework maps to 64-bit operating systems. You can read more about this directory structure on the IVI Foundation website. I would suggest checking out the VPP-2: System Frameworks Specification document.You should be placing Windows 2000 drivers under WinNT.

Hope this helps.

Jonathan N.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,032 Views)

Sound good. So if the drivers are re-compiled and used Under Windows 7, then they're automatically win2k? (we're still using a 32 bit OS)

Thanks

"Lockheed" Joe
Testing Blog"
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,023 Views)

If the plan is for those drivers to be used in a 32-bit OS which it sounds like they are, they should go into the WinNT directory. In Section 6.1 (WINNT System Framework) of the document I mentioned earlier, it states the following:

"This section defines the specific requirements for the WINNT system framework, which includes the Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista 32, Windows Vista 64 (32-bit applications only), and Windows 7 (32-bit applications only) operating systems."

Jonathan N.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,013 Views)

Thanks

"Lockheed" Joe
Testing Blog"
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,008 Views)