LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debugger crashing after F5

Well, I have these symptoms again, but unrelated to my earlier post's topic of swallowing events.  This is with a different project, which is fairly large.

• I'd say it's happening maybe 20-30% of the time.
  • I noticed that this didn't really start happening for me until after upgrading to CVI 2013
  • It happens in completely random areas of code; i.e., there isn't one particular code construct that is making this bug happen
  • It happens only after I have the debugger break at a breakpoint, and then hit F5 to resume running.

Weird, huh? But very hard on my workflow.  I have to kill the cvidebug.exe and re-enter the debug mode.

Ideas?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 49
(6,584 Views)

Hello Electrolund,

Could you check this forum thread to see if you have the same problem. Since for you CVI hangs only when you press F5 after breaking at a breakpoint and not at startup, I guess it's not the same but maybe it worths a try.

Sending a LabWindows/CVI log as described in the 3rd post of the same thread might help in investigating the issue.

Constantin

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 49
(6,544 Views)

Unfortunately no.  I checked my CWS file in Notepad++ and it only had one entry. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 49
(6,541 Views)

Hello Electrolund,

Do you have a lot of debugging windows open when this happens(variable window with a lot of variables, memory window etc.)?

If you wait some time when CVI hangs, does it eventually became responsible or it hangs indefinitely?

Could you provide a LabWindows/CVI log for this behavior?

Constantin

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 49
(6,526 Views)

I've tried closing all the undocked windows and still see the crash.

Where do I find the CVI log file?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 49
(6,450 Views)

Hello Electrolund,

First you need to configure ConfigCVILogging.exe as described here. You need to generate a log for Environment. Then, when the problem occurs send out the log file from the location you configured.

I'm a little confused by the word "crash" you are using. As I understand CVI hangs when you hit F5. Can you confirm? Did you try waiting some time to see if CVI eventually becomes unresponsible?

Constantin.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 49
(6,425 Views)

Ok, I have the ConfigCVILogging running now, as per the instructions.  I re-ran my application and I have a lengthy log file.  Not much is jumping out at me.

I'm also now ocassionally seeing these two error dialogs:

2014-11-04 07_11_52-LabWindows_CVI Message.png

2014-11-04 07_11_05-LabWindows_CVI Message.png

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 49
(6,416 Views)

Hello Electolund,

Now that you have the log file  you can name the file something obvious and upload it to ftp://ftp.ni.com/incoming so we could have a look at it.

Beware that if you restart CVI the file is overwritten.

Constantin

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 49
(6,414 Views)

Thanks!

CVIDebugLog.zip

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 49
(6,408 Views)

I'm also seeing that CVI is now chewing up ~125MB of ram when it opens.  I've tried closing it and other apps and reopening just CVI.  Same.

I'm going to reboot to see if I can't get it to be more responsive.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 49
(6,400 Views)