LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DAQmxCreateTask vs. Create/Edit DAQmx Tasks

Solved!
Go to solution

I just started using Labwindows recently so i'm a newbie here. You guys have a great forum setup and i hope you can help me on this.

so as the title says what's the difference between using these DAQmxCreateTask(), LoadTask() functions and manually creating a DAQmx task using the "Tools" menu.

Don't they acheive the same thing ? What is the need for both of them to be present here ? Am i missing something ?

I have already used Labview a bit. In that, to do the data acquisition we need to use the DAQmx Tasks icon to acquire/generate anything. but there isn't any programming alternative available as such, if i'm not wrong. so what's the deal with Labwindows/CVI then ?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,731 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author mayhssbn

Tools >> Generate DAQmx task launches a wizard that permits you to define task characteristics and create the corresponding code. You may want to do this by yourself by manually writing down individual instructions: this may be useful if you already have some existing code that you can reuse with little adaptations or if you have some special need that the wizard cannot fulfil or simply if you are accustomed to write down the code instead of relying on wizards, which is my option.

LoadTask is used to load a task created in MAX and use it in your program. This permits some form of personalization of the task without modifying the source code, with the obvious warning that excessive modifications in the task can ultimately result in abnormal program behaviour or runtime errors.

All these options are legitimate ways to fulfil the same operation, coding an acquistion task: knowing the characteristics of each of them you can choose the one which is most apporpriate to your goal and to your programming habits.

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community

Thank you very much! that clears it up.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,717 Views)

You're welcome!

I understand that CVI is quite ( Smiley Wink ) different from LabVIEW, but having used both I can say that most paradigms are similare and the majority of concepts can be ported from one environment to the other.

Furthermore, as you said this forum is a valuable resource for all developers, so feel free to expose your doubts here.

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community
(3,705 Views)