From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ctrl-I on routine name jumps to header file

In CVI 2013/2013f1, putting the cursor on a routine name and pressing Ctrl-I or right-clicking and selecting "Go To Definition" will sometimes jump to the routine's function prototype in a header file instead of the actual function code in a source file.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,680 Views)

When do you generate your browsing info? (Options / Environment / Source Code Browse Information)

May be this happens if the browsing info is not up to date?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,677 Views)

I have this set to "on edit".  I assume this is the default since I've never changed this setting.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,675 Views)

Hello richferrara!

Althoug you have the browsing information generation policy set to 'On edit' in the Environment settings, depending on how large your project and source code layout, this can easily happen, because if CVI doesn't find a definition for the function in your current active project, it will try to place the cursor to the function prototype instead. There are several cases in which this can happen:

1. Browsing information has not been generated completely for the entire project yet (perhaps your project is large and CVI requires more time to parse the other source files from your project). You should wait until browsing information has been generated completely for the entire project.
  2. The source file, where the function definition is located is not included in the project build (perhaps it is excluded), or the source file simply doesn't belong to the project (i.e. it's not present in the Project Tree).
  3. There are compiling errors in your code, at the location of the function definition, which can cause the parsing to fail for that part of the code, so CVI isn't able to extract browsing information for that area.
  4. #ifdefs in your source code may have excluded that area from the code parsing.

If none of the above apply, please send us a description of your exact project layout:

1. How and which the files are included in the project?
  2. Where (in which files) are the function definition, function prototype and place from which you are invoking <Ctrl+I> to go to the definition, in your project.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,657 Views)