From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Control tooltip on a panel overlapped by another panel.

Solved!
Go to solution

I have asked this question before but I try again.

Is there any workaround so that the tooltip can be displayed when the location where the tooltip normaly displays is overlapped by another panel ?

Could I control the position to either left/right instead of below ?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,201 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author fluidtronic

I have not seen your earlier question... (and of course you should not duplicate questions...)

In any case, using the built-in tooltips the answer is NO, you can't. The tooltip is a floating panel with a given position determined by the control it belongs to, so a) tooltips can be covered by other panels and b) the tooltips position is fixed.

You can suggest it as a new feature...

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,198 Views)

I'm not sure I completely understand the premise of the question. While it's true that the position of the tooltips cannot be controlled, I'm having a hard time understanding how the tooltips could be overlapped by something else, given that they are floating windows, as Wolfgang pointed out.

I considered the possibility that you meant "overlapped by another child panel" or "overlapped by another too-level panel". If the tooltip was going to be covered by a child panel, it should definitely display above that panel:

(In these screenshots, "Text Message" is the control with the tooltip).

tooltip1.png

If you meant a top-level panel, then this is a bit trickier to reproduce, since in order for the tooltip to trigger, the panel that holds the control with the tooltip must be the active panel. Therefore, the only way that another top-level panel could overlap that region would be if the other panel was floating. In that case, you have two floating windows. But when I tested it, the tooltip was still on top (I guess because it was created last):

tooltip2.png 

So, I'm not sure how you were able to cover up a tooltip. Could you maybe post a screenshot, so that I can understand it better?

Thanks,

Luis

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,173 Views)

Hi

I have a top panel (the one with the three control), the size of it is the three and the size of the overlapping panel.

The overlapping panel is a child of the top panel. All the button controls above the child panels do not display the

controltip, wheras the buttons left of the overlapping panel does.

The two panels are loaded this way :

TOP PANEL

if((panelHandle = LoadPanel(0,"FDS.uir",PANEL)) < 0)
  return -1;

OVERLAPPING PANEL
 if((FrameHandle = LoadPanel(panelHandle,"FDS.uir",FRAME)) < 0)
  return -1;

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,076 Views)

Okay, so it looks as if your overlapping panel is a child panel. That should correspond to the first screenshot in my image.

I still don't know why you're not seeing the tooltips. I tried to mock up something similar to your application, but the tooltips show up above the overlapping panel for me.

I'm attaching my test program here so that you can try it and see if you also see the tooltips. Knowing that will help us determine whether it's a machine setup issue, or it's some subtle difference between my test program and your application.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,027 Views)