LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer freezes when debugging CVI app in Win XP Pro

I have an application developed in CVI 6 under Win XP Pro (SP1) that uses the RS232 library. I'm using callbacks to capture RS232 events.
From time to time my computer freezes when debugging the application leaving me the only option to reboot by using a hardware RESET. It seems that the debugging support and RS232 library randomly interfere somewhere at the kernel level killing the system message processing and consequently freezing the system. However, if the callback is not installed or the COM port isn't opened at all, I can debug the application without problems. This points out to the way the callback function is handled in debug mode (mostly when the program stops at a breakpoint and try to resume execution).

I mention that other applications (that do not use RS232 library) work fine and they never exhibited this problem in debug mode.

I didn't try the same thing on a different platform (e.g. Win 2k, Win NT, Win ME/98).

Any advice (or comment) on this is welcome.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,815 Views)
I observed LV7 freezing rather frequently with Win-XP Pro. I had not observed this "phenomena" with LV6.1 on Win-2K. However, I do find Win-XP less stable than Win-2K with other apps as well.

Working on a Dell does not help either.

;o|
Message 2 of 3
(2,815 Views)
Hello

I guess we have not seen a particular combination like this cause problems before. Do you have certain steps that you follow to be able to reprodcue this issue? I would like to see if I can see the same effect on my machine and try this out with CVI 7 as well.

Thanks

Bilal Durrani
NI
Bilal Durrani
NI
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,815 Views)