LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compatibility with NI VISION module

Hello,

I am in charge to develop a video acquisition module , which will then use the NI VISION  module functions.

My question is as following :
how can we know if an acquisition card is compatible with NI VISION module ?

Regards
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,178 Views)

Okay, here's my experience:

NI treats image-acquisition and image-processing as two separate things. Once an image has been acquired into memory, the functions in NI-VISION can then be used to operate on it.

Image-Acquisition can be done either by:

1. Driver software and API (normally in a DLL) provided by the acquisition card manufacturer. Call the functions in the DLL to setup the hardware and grab images to memory.
  2. Driver software and API (normally in a DLL) provided by the camera manufacturer (firewire, gigabit ethernet, USB). Call the functions in the DLL to setup the hardware and grab images to memory.
  3. National Instrument's Image Acquisition Software, IMAQdx. This requires an additional cost run-time licence, as well as the run-time licence for NI-Vision.

(3) is simplest, but  most expensive, which is no surprise with NI.

Only assume that a 3rd party's image acquisition hardware will work with IMAQ or IMAQdx & LabWindows if you have a cast-iron contractual guarantee.

Short answer is, having installed the supplier's driver, can you see it in MAX?

Note that the LabWindows versions of NI's image processing software is very much the poor relation. The LabView image processing library has lots of interesting things, such as stereoscopic 3D imaging, optical flow and object tracking, since about 2012. The LabWindows version STILL has none of these.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(4,111 Views)