LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combining NIDAQ installation with a distribution kit

I've created a LabWindows/CVI application that uses a multifunction DAQ. I would like to minimize the steps required for installing only the necessary files, including DAQ drivers, for this application to run on a target machine, where NIDAQ is not necessarily installed on this target computer. What would be the optimal approach to achieve this?

I've scrounged the NI site for information, but I haven't been able to find a straightforward example. I understand the basics of a distribution kit. I've also seen references to "silent installations" for NIDAQ, but I don't really understand exactly what this is.

I understand that this might be a rather involved procedure, but even a basic overview would be a great
help. Thanks for your time!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,621 Views)
Greetings,

To install NI-DAQ in the same installation process as your CVI application, you will need to use a batch file (.bat). A batch file is a script of DOS commands that are executed when the file is called. There is a great deal of information on the Web concerning the creation of batch files.

Good luck with your application.

Spencer S.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,621 Views)
Unfortunately, there is no easy (or hard) way to include the DAQ driver with the distribution kit in CVI or LabVIEW. NI-DAQ is a huge and complex driver and there is no straigthforward way to link to it from the distribution kit. Currently we require our users to install NI-DAQ directly from the CD or from NI's website. This might improve in years to come but for now I would suggest that you install DAQ separately. Or you could also write a small executable that would be scheduled to run after the dist kit install. That executable would just prompt the user to insert the Driver CD.
I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you. We are definitely award of users needing this feature and are working towards a solution.

Regards,
Azucena
NI
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,621 Views)