LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing variable window restores IDE window

Hello,

in my opinion the following scenario could be improved:

During debugging of a program I open the variable window; after the program finishes, the IDE (integrated view) is the topmost window of my screen (secondary aspect: why? During debugging the variable window was on top of it...). I minimize the IDE with its _ panel button just to find out that the variable window though empty is still there (another secondary aspect: interestingly only the overall variable window, while the individual variable view has disappeared). So I close the variable window using its X panel button. Now, surprisingly, the minimized IDE shows up again and again has to be minimized. I feel that this should be fixed Smiley Wink

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(3,596 Views)

Hi Wolfgang,

Could you please clear up 3 points?

1) Which Version of CVI are you seing this behaviour?

2) Are you using the integrated or the classic view?

3) Which window do you expect to be the topmost after the program completion?

Thanks in advance for those informations 🙂

Best regards

Message 2 of 14
(3,572 Views)
Hi Naity,

1) Which Version of CVI are you seing this behaviour? CVI 2012

2) Are you using the integrated or the classic view? integrated view

3) Which window do you expect to be the topmost after the program completion? The one that was the topmost before running the program (In the CVI environment setting, I have chosen 'Hide windows when application is running', so I would expect that the original z-plane order is restored)

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(3,568 Views)

This is akward, I either misunderstood or ir works for me.

As you are talking about Z plan, I assume you released the variable window. I also added the "Hide window while running option" and added a breakpoint in a callback. here is what happened on my computer:

* I compile and start the program, the IDE "disappears" and my topmost window is my GUI.

* I click the button related with the callback containing my breakpoint. The topmost window becomes the IDE

* I open the Variable window (Window -> Variables...). The topmost window becomes the Variable Window

* I run my program further using F5 or "Run -> Continue". The topmost window becomes my GUI and the Variable and IDE Windows becomes invisible.

* I quit my GUI (CALLBACK containing QuitUserInterface(0)). The GUI disappears, my topmost window is the ampty Variable Window and my second window is my IDE, as expected. This seem to behave correctly on my computer.

Now the second case where the variable windows is already open is slightly different: After the breakpoint, the IDE becomes the topmost windows (which is logical, this is where the breakpoint happen) and if i bring the variable windows to the foreground, after quitting the program, the empty window remains on the foreground.

Beside, I have an additional question: which advantage does the variable window brings as released window? It seem to me that it could be easier to have it confined in the IDE as the IDE will always be brought in the foreground when hitting a breakpoint.

Thanks for the infos 🙂

Best regards

Message 4 of 14
(3,565 Views)
Hi Naity,

* I compile and start the program, the IDE "disappears" and my topmost window is my GUI.

* I click the button related with the callback containing my breakpoint. The topmost window becomes the IDE

* I open the Variable window (Window -> Variables...). The topmost window becomes the Variable Window

* I run my program further using F5 or "Run -> Continue". The topmost window becomes my GUI and the Variable and IDE Windows becomes invisible.

* I quit my GUI (CALLBACK containing QuitUserInterface(0)). The GUI disappears, my topmost window is the ampty Variable Window and my second window is my IDE, as expected. This seem to behave correctly on my computer.

You are right, it seems to behave properly on this computer (XP), I'll investigate it further on the Win7 system tonight and will report it here.

Beside, I have an additional question: which advantage does the variable window brings as released window? It seem to me that it could be easier to have it confined in the IDE as the IDE will always be brought in the foreground when hitting a breakpoint.

Limited space... if it's confined, it uses room I prefer to have for my code window Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(3,562 Views)

Ok, let me know. Smiley Happy

Additionaly, if it helps you narrow down the problem, my OS is Win 7 x64 Enterprise SP1. It worked on it.

Best Regards

Message 6 of 14
(3,559 Views)

Hi Naity,

I have to admit that your statement that everything works as expected in your case confused me. But I can reproduce the issue here... (Win 7 64 bit Ultimate SP1).

So let's try to find the differences...

I open the IDE, set a breakpoint as you did to inspect a variable (in my case, a string array), and run the program. When it stops at the breakpoint, I right click on the variable which results in a popup menu. I choose 'View Variable Value' which results in three open CVI windows:

IDE

Variables

String Display (listed in z plane order, i.e. String Display is the top most, active window)

I press F5 to continue the program and finish it - the IDE shows up (because it covers the full screen I cannot tell if the other windows are also there; the IDE is not maximized).

Then I minimize the IDE using the _ panel button, the IDE disappears and the only window left is the Variables window...

Then I close the Variables window using the X panel button: the Variables window disappears and the IDE shows up...Smiley Surprised

I also managed to achieve a slightly different behavior:

In the above mentioned example the breakpoint was in a loop, causing the program to stop a few times. If the breakpoint is reached just once, after finishing the program the z plane order is correct, i.e. the Variables window is on top of the IDE (although the String Display isn't there). BUT even in this case: If I click on the IDE to bring it to front, minimize it, and then close the Variables window, the IDE is restored, see above.

Thanks for your investigations Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(3,531 Views)

Hi Wolfgang,

Thanks for checking that and giving further details. I will try to investigate it back in the office tommorrow.

Best RegardsRobot Happy

Message 8 of 14
(3,526 Views)

Hi Wolfgang,

Just so that you know, the day in the office is quite heavy loaded and I doubt I will be able to try it today (especially that I have to get things done before being OOO until monday). I might not find time to try to reproduce the behaviour before monday (in case I find a time distorsion machine by then, I'll update the thread 😉 ).

Best regards

Message 9 of 14
(3,519 Views)

Hi Naity,

thanks for the update but no need to distort time Smiley Wink It's neither an important nor an urgent issue...

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(3,516 Views)