LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Close down of Application problems

I have an failure to close an application which occurs very infrequently. The app is closed using the close icon (top right) or a menu entry, when the failure occurs neither of these seem to function, and the app continues to work. If I use Alt-F4 to close the app then this works. Anyone seen this before - got any comments?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,015 Views)
Hello

Are you able to verify that the correct callback is called when you hit the close icon on the top of the window, perhaps you can have a message box popup that would indicate the callback or would display any error value that might have happened while try to close down the app. maybe your main thread is so busy that its not processing all of the user messages. Also, are you able to reproduce this in a smaller program?

Hope this helps

Bilal Durrani
NI
Bilal Durrani
NI
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,015 Views)
If you are debugging your application, pressing Alt-F4 will kill the CVI debugger which in turn will close your application. When the app is in a bad state (i.e., a hang), closing the app through the user interface by either selecting a menu item or clicking on the X button at the upper-right corner of the window might not have any effect. This is because the user interface is also in a bad state and no callbacks are being properly routed. This is expected behavior. As a result, when your app is in a bad state your only option is to kill the degugger.

Regards,
Azucena
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,015 Views)
App not running under debugger. Also App not hung, and continues to work correctly. The app collects data (ascii strings) from the serial port, and places these into a database. Reports are generated from this data. The problem occurs once or twice in sucession then it may be a month or so before it occurs again. I don't seem to be able to generate this problem back at base.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,015 Views)
I can't reproduce this on the original program. The problem occurs once or twice in sucession then nothing for maybe a month. The app collects data (ascii strings) from the serial port, and appends to a database. Reports are also generated. I have seen this back at base only twice in the last six months, but I do not seem to be able to recreate the problem in any reliable way.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,015 Views)
I guess I completely misunderstood your question. Although with the information provided it's hard to tell what can be causing this random "failure". It might be related to the database access taking too long, but it's hard to say.

Azucena
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,015 Views)