cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot find 32-bit program file for library

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

It is a long time since I worked with CVI, but today I opened a old project in CVI 2013 SP2. On project load I got two library load errors: "Cannot find 32-bit program file for library 'Menu Utility' " and "Cannot find 32-bit program file for library 'Excel Report'. "
I see both libraries in "Customize Library Menu" dialog. They are loaded from "C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\CVI2013\toolslib\toolbox\menuutil.fp" and "C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\CVI2013\toolslib\activex\excel\excelreport.fp".

On disk I find those files, but I do not find corresponding *.obj files, which I see for other custom libraries.

I think I do need those *.obj files, don't I? Where can I find those files? Or how do I create those files?

UliB

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(6,113 Views)

.obj files associated to Excel library are located in msvc and msvc64 subfolders of excel folder; if the project was created in a old release of CVI the system amy have not been able to adjust paths to the new folder structure. Try running customize menu to exclude Excel library, then restart CVI and customize it again adding the Excel library. Restart CVI again and see if this fixed the situation.

I cannot say anything regarding menuutil, as I'm not using this instrument.

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community
(6,105 Views)

Hello RobertoBozzolo,

thank you for your help.

I see msvc and msvc64 subfolders. There are excel2000.obj files in them, but not excelreport.obj.

I did what you suggested: Exclude libraries, restart CVI, add libraries and restart CVI again. But the error remained.

Is there a way to generate such obj files?

UliB

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(6,099 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author UliB

Sorry, I didn't focused on the problem being excel report. This instrument is only distributed at code level, so you must load it in Instrument menu. The same applies to menuutil instrument.

Alternatively, you may want to create a lib out of instrument code: see this help page for reference.

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community

Hello RobertoBozzolo,

thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I had to ceate those files out of source code.
I loaded 'excelreport.c' in CVI editor and used 'Options -> Create Object File'. After that I found 'excelreport.obj' in msvc subfolder. I did the same for 'menuutil.c'.Then I changed my configuration to 'debug64' and repeated the steps I did before. So those .obj files were created in msvc64 subfolder too.

The next start of CVI editor the error message did not appear.

UliB

Message 5 of 7
(6,042 Views)

I had the same issue: 

Created new UI application -> loaded excelreport.fp and included it to the current project -> everything works fine. I close CVI on Friday and re-open it today and get the error Cannot find 32-bit program file...Including excelreport.c to my project fixed the problem. 

But my question is:

Why does that even happen? Why do I need to incldue excelreport.c now but not when I first created the application?

That just seems like a very odd behaviour that can cause a lot of confusion. It did for me at least. Closing a working project and re-opening it should not cause that kind of behavior. I currently assume I did something wrong/changed something but cannot think of anything. So if anyone has an idea, let me know.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,911 Views)

I didn't find "create object file" but I also created a project and inserted the source code, built 32 and 64 bit. I found the obj's in my local cvi.build folders and copied them to the C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\CVI20xx\toolslib\activex\excel\msvc folder.

Worked like a charm. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,285 Views)