From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Uninstall Legacy NI-488.2

Solved!
Go to solution

I took over a very old project that was created on a very old version of Labwindows. I built it on Labwindows/cvi 2010 and the distribution built OK.

When I try and load the executable on another computer the load stops with a message that says to remove the Legacy NI-488.2.

There is no selection for the NI-488.2 in the National Instruments Software under Add or Remove Programs.

How do I remove this?

Thanks!

John W.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(6,002 Views)

Well, in the recent past (just a couple of years ago) I would have suggested MSI Blast from NI, developed for just such situations as the one you describe.  But recent posts from others requesting MSIBlast.exe have been met with strong resistance from NI applications engineers who say that it is an internal tool only, not available for use outside NI. 

Another option is to do a registry search to find all associated files and references to the lib you are try to uninstall, and manually delete it/them.  Risky, but sometimes necessary.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(5,992 Views)

Hey jwinterb,

Have you tried opening MAX to see if NI-488.2 was listed there?  If so, try these steps to solve the issue.

1)  Install the newest version of NI-488.2 located here.

Check if this solved the problem.  If not:

2)  Uninstall NI-488.2.

3)  Go into your program files and remove the NI-488.2 folder.

Let me know if these steps work for you.

Jesse S.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,979 Views)

Thanks for the reply.

I did go into MAX and the NI-488.2 is there and listed as version 1.70

I tried installing the newer version 3.1.1 like you said and again when installing I get the same thing, must remove Legacy NI-488.2 before proceeding

I removed the NI-488.2 folder and still get the same thing, must remove Legacy NI-488.2 before proceeding.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am stuck.

Thanks

John W.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(5,971 Views)

There might still be some 488.2 files in your Program Files folder that you will have to delete and remove from the recycling bin.  This has been the ultimate issue I've seen with other people who have had a similar issue.

Another option is you could try reinstalling the Legacy driver again and uninstalling it.  You can request it at http://www.ni.com/support/gpib/drivers/.  

Jesse S.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(5,958 Views)

I finally got the old legacy 488.2 software off of the PC.

I again went to create the application and it went thru successfully.

But there is a problem now. When I launch the application an error occurs when trying to initialize a signal generator thru the GPIB.

It says error -20 cannot initialize the signal generator.

So putting the new 488.2 software on the PC now creates a communication problem thru the GPIB.

Now what do I do?

Thanks!

John W.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(5,935 Views)

What I would recommend doing is creating a new topic on the forums since this is a different issue than getting the legacy 488.2 software off the PC.  You might get more responses on a new topic.

Some questions you might want to answer on it is what the program is you are trying to run?  What's the hardware?  What function call are you making to do this?

Jesse S.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(5,916 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author jwinterb

OK Thanks!

JW

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8