LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't step into code in another file

Hi,

When debugging my application in CVI 2013, if I set a breakpoint before a call to a function in another C file, the Step Into command just steps over the function call, even though the source for both is my own and both files are included in the project. If I set a breakpoint in the function in the second file, the application doesn't stop at all, preventing me from seeing what is happening.

I have been able to do this in the past and now it is no longer functioning, what could I have possibly changed?

Thanks

Francois Campbell

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,900 Views)

Hello Francois,

If you put the cursor on the function you are calling, right click and select Go to Definition(Ctrl+I) does it take you in the right place? I'm thinking maybe the function that it's called is not the one you expect. I don't see for the moment other reason the debugger doesn't step in.

Constantin

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,892 Views)

Yes, it does take me to the right function, and it executes correctly when run.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,890 Views)

It maybe jumping to the right fucntion, but does it jump to the right file?

Do you have multiple copies of that file, old and new versions maybe?

If so, the project might have been messed up with incorrect versions.

Can you check the function it jumps is the correct file?

S. Eren BALCI
IMESTEK
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,881 Views)

If you call Breakpoint() inside the function you are calling, does the debugger stop?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,866 Views)

Hi Everyone,

It seems that coming back this morning and starting fresh, the issue is resolved. I don't know what did it, but everything is working fine. Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,860 Views)

This happens some time with CVI.

When I start to get strange responses out of nowhere, I always do a system restart first 😉

S. Eren BALCI
IMESTEK
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,850 Views)

I also very recently encountered such a situation.

I don't know why I couldn't remember it before.

CVI was not respecting my breakpoints at all.

It did not even do "break at first step".

Then it turned out that, it was becasue the files were on a network drive, not stored locally in my hard disk.

This also surprised me, because I had all the access rights on that network folder.

The only solution was to copy the project to a local folder, then it started to break appropriately.

I do not think this is expected behavior.

Maybe I should create e new thread for this issue of mine.

All the best,

S. Eren BALCI
IMESTEK
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,848 Views)
Wow, you're right, the project is on a network drive! It's working fine now but I wonder if this is indeed the problem.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,827 Views)
Well Francois, we can find out if someone replies to the thread I started about this problem.

But it hasn't gained much attention yet..
S. Eren BALCI
IMESTEK
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,822 Views)