LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can one run CVI from CD or USB stick?

We have sent a CVI app to the client and it runs for about 3 hours and then crashes.  He woudl like us to debug this app  

I would to Debug the clients CVI Application on the clients system yet not leave the CVI development system there.   They system is windows 7 32 bit.  The ideal would be to create a CD where i can run the IDE/debugger.   The second choice would be to run it from a USB stick.  Any suggestions on how to do this? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,711 Views)

In order to run CVI from a CD or USB stick, you must make the software portable. You may be able to change the installation path to point to the flash drive and run the program executable. However, this is not something that National Instruments gurantees to work. Sometimes, this requires a third party software. You can check out the link below for more information.

http://www.wikihow.com/Run-Software-Directly-Off-a-USB-Flash-Drive

I would recommend installing the software on the client machine and uninstalling or deactivating after use. You can install a single seat license of CVI on up to 3 computers.

Regards,

Anjelica W.
National Instruments
Product Marketing Manager
FlexLogger and TestStand
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,684 Views)

On one hand you do not need to activate CVI after installing it to the customer machine: you can simply run it as evaluation version and debug your project in the IDE. Next you will need to copy back the project files to a development machine to create the executable.

On the other hand, you could use remote debugging facility to debug the application without installing anything on the customer machine. Take a look also to this tutorial and to this tip from ebalci.

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community
(2,674 Views)