From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CVI window tab order

Solved!
Go to solution

Is there a way to maintain the order of the tabs of CVI windows?

Let's assume my project consists of three source code files, one UIR file, and two include files. All are loaded into the editor so that I can easily switch between them by clicking on the respective tab. Let's assume I want to have the tabs of source code files arranged to the left of the tabs of the include files...; whereas I can rearrange the tabs to my liking, it appears that when I quit and restart CVI this order is lost... It appears that rearranged tabs are not saved in the CWS file.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(7,171 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Wolfgang

Years ago I asked the same question myself. I'll try to locate the answer, but the principles are that int the CWS file or elsewhere is stored the order in which files have been seen in the workbench when the IDE was closed, and they are restored respecting that order.

I'm not comfortable with this solution too: I like to have UIRs, sources and includes listed left to right, associated with Ctrl-1, Ctrl-2 and so on with a specific association that makes me easier to locate functions, but it seems it's not possible. For this reason every time I reopen a project I close all windows and reopen them in the "proper" orden.

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community
(7,171 Views)

Here's the discussion I was referring to.

Wow, what a memory, that alone deserves a kudos Smiley Happy 

But also, how disappointing, nothing has changed since then... 

...so I have added this suggestion to the Idea Exchange, it's here

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(7,155 Views)
Hi guys!
I also remember asking the same question 😉
I might have even posted a "suggestion" for future releases.
I don't think the z-plane order makes sense for anyone.
Who pays attention which tabs he/she click while trying to code his/her application?!

So, I'm sorry Luis but I am still frustrated about the way the editor handles this issue 🙂
(I wish it was possible to add "mentions" in the post so people get notified when we talk about them 🙂 )
S. Eren BALCI
IMESTEK
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(7,135 Views)

Hi Eren,

I'm pretty optimistic that Luis will read this post 😉

Concerning the z-plane-order: I think it does make sense if one is using released windows, but it should be updated for those that use the confined, tabbed workspace.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(7,129 Views)

In order to elaborate a little on this subject, I have tried in the past to address this problem using CVI macros but faced with two major problems:

1. CVI macro language seems to be editing-oriented. I mean: every key combination is recorded in the macro as its equivalent operation, so when I record a macro pressing Ctrl+1 to show one of loaded source files, in the macro this command is translated into TxtGoToDocument fileName="mysourcefile.c". The same happens if I want to open a source non yet loaded in the editor. This is a problem since I cannot create a macro that works well whichever is the project loaded into the IDE
  2. It appears that macro language is strictly related to a text editor window: if I start a macro and close all windows (Alt + Window + Close All) the macro stops recording and no instruction is saved

Situation hasn't changed up to CVI2012 so no workaround on the macro side for this subject Smiley Sad

(7,119 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Wolfgang

Looks like I owe each of you an apology. In that earlier discussion I had admitted that the current method was not ideal, but in the 8+ years since then, there was no follow-through to improve it.

Not that I necessarily agree with ebalci that the z-plane isn't important. It is important, if we want Ctrl+Tab to behave correctly, which we do. However, it should be possible to maintain the z-plane order while also preserving the left-to-right order of the tabs.

I see that Wolfgang has already created a suggestion in the Idea Exchange, but I also created a bug report now (456105), since it makes it more likely to be addressed sooner.

Sorry about this.

Luis

Message 8 of 11
(7,104 Views)
Hi all,
Thank you Luis.
It's always been a comfort to know that you are over there and sorting things out 🙂

I was really positive that I also posted something (either forum or idea exch) about this.
Sometimes I think so focused about doing something that I feel inside that I did it before I actually do. Maybe this was one of them 😉

Have a nice day guys!
S. Eren BALCI
IMESTEK
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(7,092 Views)

@ebalci wrote:
Thank you Luis.
It's always been a comfort to know that you are over there and sorting things out 🙂

I couldn't have phrased it any better Smiley Happy

Yeah, probably it's best amd fastest to call it a bug 9 years overdue...Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(7,085 Views)