LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CVI Linux Raspbian Raspberry

Hi

I am currently working for a project which will run on a Raspberry PI with an arm processor. It is under Linux and I shall create the code with the CodeBlocks IDE.

I am now wondering if it is possible to create the software under CVI and run it under Debian Linux? If yes, is it possible to run it on a Raspberry that I can use CVI for this project? Raspberry PI runs under Raspbian which is a Debian Distribution of Linux.

So the question is, does CVI run under Debian Linux?

thx

Oliver

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(6,891 Views)

No, because the RPI is based on an ARM CPU, but CVI runs on and creates code only for  Intel/AMD compatible CPUs.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(6,869 Views)

Yes, but since CVI was moved to the CLANG compiler, there is no reason that it could not cross-compile to ARM. See http://clang.llvm.org/docs/CrossCompilation.html for example. Similarly, CLANG is a C++ compiler.

All features that NI choose not to enable in LabWindows,  probably simply because of support cost considerations.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(6,844 Views)

Sure, your prog will probably compile fine, but linking with CVI libraries won't work since you only have the binaries from the installer (no source), and those won't work on ARM.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(6,770 Views)

Hello,

thanks a lot for these informations

OK, then I  have, unfortunately, to find an other solution.

thx

Oliver

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(6,757 Views)

I do a lot of ARM programming as well as CVI programming. My solution is to run the CVI code on an RPM-based linux system (I use Scientific Linux) with a user interface that is used to control low-level C programs running on the ARM-based systems. I've never used the Pi, but several Xilinx systems as well as Beagle board and others. They communicate via TCP. A bunch of script allows for compiling, cross-compiling, updating the whole thing. So it goes like:

• Develop in Windows (in a VM actually)
  • Compile and test in Windows thanks to simulated programs (the prog for the ARM, compiled with different #defines, running locally and generating random data)
  • scp the code to a Linux PC, compile the CVI part (*)
  • cross-compile the ARM-part, scp it to the device
  • launch both sides and test

(*) You can also compile and run the ARM part locally on the Linux PC, generating random data, allowing for easier testing/debugging

Message 6 of 6
(6,751 Views)