LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CVI 2015 & Windows SDK

Solved!
Go to solution

Installing CVI 2015 on Win7 Enterprise laptops.

Installed, registered, launched recently worked project, went to build it, and CVI 2015 requires installation of Windows SDK 8.1.  Got following error message popup.

CVI SDK Error.png

I browsed to ni.com/info, entered the code and was immediately sent to the Microsoft SDK 8.1 page.  No NI information on what to do, how to install, how to link the SDK to CVI.  Tried to download SDK 8.1, and it keeps saying the file is corrupted.  Tried SDK 10.0, which says it supports Win7, downloaded, installed, CVI does not recognize anything, wants SDK 8.1.

I am dead in the water.  Help!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(11,007 Views)

Looking at the CVI2015 installation DVD Readme file, i see the following:

Behavior Changes Introduced in LabWindows/CVI 2015

• The LabWindows/CVI installation includes the complete Windows 8.1 SDK.

Files installed with the Windows SDK are in different locations than in previous versions of LabWindows/CVI:

Files Previous Location Current Location
Import libraries <cvidir>\sdk\lib <Program Files>\Windows Kits\8.1\Lib\winv6.3\um\x86 (or \x64)
Include files <cvidir>\sdk\include <Program Files>National Instruments\Shared\MSDTRedistributables\SDKHeaderFiles\8.1

As nearly as I can tell, the above is entirely false, at least when installed on Win7Enterprise.  There does not appear to be any selection during installation whether or not to do SDK installation, and this component is not listed anywhere. 

I tried uninstalling CVI 2015, an re-installing with absolutely no network connection, and Win SDK 8.1 is not installed.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(10,997 Views)

Historically (v2009) there were some tricks to making sure that the Win32 SDK was installed along with CVI. See here.  I doubt this is the solution, but there are similarities.

Message 3 of 14
(10,991 Views)

For me (Windows 7 Ultimate, 64 bit) installation of the API went without major problems - I have a new folder in my Start Menu: Windows Kits

Accordingly, the SDK is installed in

Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1

and in

Program Files (x86)\National Instrumens\Shared\MSDTRedistributable

As a consequence of 8.1, the two new sample programs provided with CVI2015 do not work for Windows 7

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(10,986 Views)

As described previously, I did the CVI 2015 Full install, and no SDK.

The installation was on top of CVI 2013.  Only thing I can do at this point is uninstall all NI software, and reinstall CVI 2015 and see if that works, and actually installs SDK 8.1

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(10,983 Views)

I don't know if it makes a difference but in my case I first uninstalled CVI2013

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(10,980 Views)

Having LabWindows/CVI 2013 installed first should not cause this to happen. 

hendra@ngms, when you initially installed LabWindows/CVI, did you dismiss the Windows SDK installer that appeared at the end of the LabWindows/CVI installation?

Have you tried a 'force reinstall' of LabWindows/CVI 2015? If not, please try to do a force reinstall, following the instructions in http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/ADD22E807D5A12AD862579EC00760F79 . If you are connected to the internet (this must be true for the entirety of the installation of LabWindows/CVI), at the end of the NI installer, the Microsoft SDK installer will be launched, and the Windows 8.1 SDK will download and install. If you are not connected to the internet (for the entirety of the installation), the NI installer will install the Windows 8.1 SDK from disk. 

Please let me know how this goes.

Daniel Dorroh
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(10,975 Views)

Daniel and Wolfgang,

Thanks for your suggestions.  So far no joy.

I uninstalled CVI2013 and all NI components.  Installed CVI2015 Full from the DVD set.  There was no "Install Windows SDK" popup at any time during the installation.  The SDK was not installed.

I cannot download Windows SDK 8.1 -- fails every time, says file "may" be corrupted.  But, I can download 8.0 and 10.0 successfully.  Don't understand this.  Trying to get our IT folks to provide me an 8.1 standalone installer image.

I am dead in the water with this.  I will open a support request.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(10,940 Views)

You're welcome, sorry it didn't help.

@Daniel: I highlighted some part of the file location which is different from your documentation.

I think your documentation is in error - at least for my system Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(10,933 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author hendra@ngms

Problem solved, sort of, through the back door, a most undesirable way to complete the installation:

Find and execute this file from the DVD:  D:\Distributions\CVI\Products\MSDTRedistributables_WindowsSDK_81\sdk\sdksetup.exe

This successfully creates the C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\ folder.

I have no idea why the installed does not do this automatically for my Windows 7 laptops.  I hope that NI fixes this when CVI2015 SP1 is released.

Message 10 of 14
(10,929 Views)