LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CVI 2015 - Debug GUI Not Responding After Breakpoint

I have numerous applications written in CVI. Often when degugging an app in CVI 2015, after hitting a breakpoint, CVI will hang up when continuing.

What I mean is if I choose to continue, step over, run to the cursor, or step out, the duguggin session will not complete execution. Eventually clicking anywhere in the CVI GUI will cause a spinning circle, a dimmed screen, and the title bar showing "No Respose" or something similar. The only way to recover is to bring up Task Manager and close both the CVIDebug and CVI processes.

Does anyone else have this issue?

I have several installations of 2015, running on Win7 (32), Win7 (64), and WinXP. They all do this. I've had this haapen in the past with other versions of CVI, but this one is by far the worst.

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,938 Views)

Mike,

Do you see this same behavior with shipping examples provided with CVI?

Is this occuring after any specific functions or reocurring at similar states of your program(s)?

You might try to run a quick repair on CVI 2015 to see if this helps clean up the issue.

Regards,

Sam

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,914 Views)

CVI example projects are usually pretty small. No, I haven't noticed this behavior in examples, but I may not have ever stepped into and debugged an example.

This has happened on numerous CVI installations, different operating systems, different projects. All the projects have been large.

I might have first seen the issue with CVI 2010, but more often later in CVI 2013. Now I see it often. I also notice that in a number of cases, the breakpoints that I set do not trigger. The program execution does not stop at all. Last night I set a breakpoint to stop execution just before a fatal error occurrs so I could step through it and debug it. It would keep execting right up the fata error and not hit any breakpoint I placed in the function, or it's calling function. It only worked after I removed all breakpoints in the workspace and set new ones.

Then last night I hit a breakpoint and set another about 10-15 lines further and hit F5. It never hit the breakpoint or executed. I got a spinning wheel over the CVI application. I left and 12 hours later it was still not responding.

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,908 Views)

Hello Mike,

Unfortunately other users also had this issue, see for example this thread.

We are going to fix this with the next occasion.

Constantin

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,868 Views)

Yes, that fits.

Over the weekend, I found that the lockup issue does not occur when stepping into or out of, but will almost always hapen when pressing F5, even when there is a breakpoint only a few statements away.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,859 Views)