From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CVI 2013f1 GUI Localization Utility crashes when loading dictionary file

Hello, all,

I'm using the CVI localization tool localui.exe (version 13.0.0.632). After loading the uir file (uhh, quite big - 1 519 616 bytes) I try to use my small dictionary file (very small = 12 rules) - and I'm facing the unhandled exception - unknown source position, General Protection Fault at address 0x68546446 ... The similar issue comes after try of "Export All to dictionary"...

Moreover, when I try open the uir file (succesfully) and try to quit localui.exe without any other action, the localui hangs....

I'm using Win XP SP3.

I'm ready to send the file(s) to some NI investigation - but don't known the appropriate address/mailbox ...

Regards,

George

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,031 Views)

Hello DocRabbit,

Please send a summary of your request, your contact information, and any attachments to techsupport@ni.com

I woud be happy to take a look at it.

Regards,

Simon

Best Regards,
T Simon
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer - Certified TestStand Architect
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,000 Views)

Hello DocRabbit,

I have recieved your file, thank you!

I investigated your scenario, and I have mixed results:

I am using 64 bit Windows 7.I tried both CVI 2013 (localui.exe version 13.0.0.632), and CVI 2102 SP1 (version 12.0.1.127)

Loading the .uir and the .lwd dictionary file that you attached works OK,

Adding some localized text and saving works OK,

"Export All to dictionary..." works OK,

The tool however does hang when I try to quit.

I did find a solution:

My recommendation is to split the various windows in your .uir file into separate, smaller .uir files. You do have a high number of windows in a single .uir, I think this may be causing the problems.

I started by simply deleting a few windows from the file, and all of the described problems dissapeared.

Further, it is recommended good practice to keep all major application window in its own separate .uir file.

If your application requires to keep everything in one .uir file, then my only other recommendation is to try using a 64-bit OS, as it seems that it is more stable this way (I am using Win7 64 bit).

I am submitting the issue to the developers so they can investigate further, but the fix (if any) can not be expected soner than the next release of CVI, so from your perspective it makes no difference right now.

I thank you for submitting this issue, and I apologize for any inconvenience that it may have caused.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance,

Best Regards,

T Simon

Best Regards,
T Simon
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer - Certified TestStand Architect
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,955 Views)

Hello, Simon,

thanks for your investigation!

I will try your recommedation (and also thanks for good-practice notes !) - and I will write my experience here.

But there is another question - when I use the localui.exe from CVI 9.0 (and of course the original UIR file), everything works correctly ...

There must be changes in localui.exe development.

Regards,

Geoge

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,942 Views)

Hello, all,

the result with splitting the original uir file to more files hasn't great improvement - yes, I'm able to "Export All to Dictionary ...", but (when I work this dictionary) I receive Assert popup (see attachement). Btw, the localui.exe allways hangs on exit.

Regards,

George

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,903 Views)

Hello,

the localization utility has problems since CVI2012.

See post

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabWindows-CVI/User-Interface-Localizer-Bug-in-CVI-2012/m-p/2215924#M60099

I think that new functions in the UIR of CVI, like tooltips, are the reason for this behavior.

The localization utility must to be renewed.

Best regards

Gunther

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,859 Views)