LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CVI 2013 Variables and Call Stack column oddity

As the title suggests, I'm seeing very annoying behavior from my Variables and Call Stack window.  I started scrolling quickly in the Globals list and the columns got all wonky. See screenshot.

It's as if the Globals section (column 1 only) got "thrown" down below into the Locals section.

The only known fix is to shut down CVI and restart the app.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,242 Views)

Hello ElectroLund!

Thank you for reporting this erroneous behaviour you are seing in CVI with us!

1. Is there a certain CVI project, that you must use, in order to reproduce the problem, or can this happen with other projects as well (e.g. simple CVI project from template)? Would you mind sharing with us a project that we can also use to reproduce the problem?
  2. Is the large number of variables on the stack a key factor, to reproduce the bug?
  3. Are there any specific steps that need to be performed in the CVI ADE workspace and with the Variables and Call Stack window (e.g. resizing the window in a certain order or b reaking at a certain call stack in the running program, etc.)?
  4. What exact version of CVI 2013 are you using? In case you are not using the latest update (i.e. CVI 2013 Service Pack 1), after exaclty determining the steps in which to reproduce the problem in the older version of CVI 2013, does the issue still occur with the latest update?

Thank you!

- Johannes

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,210 Views)

Some answers:

1. I've had this happen only a couple times.  It's likely happened only in one of my three or four active projects, but I assumed that was a coincidence because all four of my projects are built from the same basic custom "template".  I'm unable to reproduce it, as it happens very rarely.
  2. This could be the case, I hadn't thought of that.  In this particular project, there are a ton of variables.
  3. To date, the only steps I've noticed that seem to precipitate the bug happening is very odd in itself!  I have a Logitech MX Revolution mouse.  It has a mouse wheel scrolling feature that is "free wheeling" (without detents).  It's handy for scrolling through very big lists or screens.  I often use it in my source code pages for quickly scanning down the page.  I have used it in the Variables & Call Stack window too and that's when I notice the bug happening.  It's as if scrolling this window too fast with smooth scrolling enabled freaks it out?
  4. Using CVI 2013 SP1.  I ran the Check Updates and it didn't find any for me.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,196 Views)

Hello, ElectroLund!

We managed to reproduce the bug eventually. It seems that a mouse with free-wheeling isn't required for this, as it was possible for me to reproduce the incorrect behavior when dragging a column divider of the Globals tree of the Variables and Call Stack window, while at the same time performing scrolling with my regular mouse.

We have filed the issue under the following ID: #475321.

I don't have a better workaround for this, at the moment, than to prevent these 2 mouse operations from happening simultaneously (dragging a column divider while scrolling). However, if the incorrect behaviour does occur, the best way to restore the Variables and Call Stack window is to restart CVI.

Best regards and thank you for your valuable feedback!

- Johannes

Message 4 of 4
(4,088 Views)