LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CVI 2013 UIR changes are not implement on subsequent build.

I have noticed that on a compiled project if you change the visibility of a UIR object, these changes are not reflected on the subsequent build. There are files that are set to recompile but in least some cases the change to the UIR is not reflected by a "build" (or Ctrl M).

Using the new "Rebuild" command from the pull down menu does reflects the expected behavior (the changes to the UIR are seen).

This may be considered normal operation and / or been previously reported, but it was new to me.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(5,166 Views)

Hello blakney,

I tried to reproduce the issue in CVI 2013, but couldn't. I toggled "Initially Hidden" for various UIR controls, but the UIR was marked as changed every time. Then, after I built the sample with Ctrl+M, I ran it and saw the change every time.

Could you please provide more details about the problem (like if the project is located on a newtork path, whether you're using CVI 2013 with the Patch f1 applied or not)? Also, a project that exhibits this behavior would be very useful in our investigation.

Best regards,

=Nelu F. || National Instruments.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(5,151 Views)

I think another useful piece of information would be if you have enabled "Embed project .UIRs" under Target Settings for the active configuration...

Message 3 of 9
(5,130 Views)

I just had the same issue with an embedded UIR: fixed a wrong control data type but I still kept getting the fatal runtime error "wrong data type". That was annoying!

Rebuild sadly didn't help, just a removal of the cvibuild directory.

Please fix this.

-----------------------
/* Nothing past this point should fail if the code is working as intended */
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(5,096 Views)

I embed the UIRs. I find that local path UIRs sometime get "lost" in Release64 builds. They link fine in Debug64 mode though.

I should say that some if not all UIR were built originally in previous version of CVI.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(5,077 Views)

Hello blakneyCVI-User,

blakney, it sounds like the bug you've reported originated in the Patch f1. The bug id is 433769 and the fix is likely to be included in our next release.

Two workarounds for the issue are:

- Use Rebuild every time you make a UI change (if you're using the option).
    - Disable Embed project .UIRs when in Debug configuration and only embed them when you create your release product. The option to embed is configuration-dependent, meaning you can set the debug and release behaviors separately.

Regarding your latter post, [I find that local path UIRs sometime get "lost" in Release64 builds. They link fine in Debug64 mode though.], could you please attach a sample project?

CVI-User, your case might fall under the same use-case (id, 433769). However, could you please attach a sample project, so we can double-check?

Thank you and best regards,

= Nelu F. || National Instruments.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,756 Views)

I attempted to and was unable to recreate the issue in a simple project. Also this seems to rear its head occasionally (unsure of exact event sequence that triggers the behavior) even in the larger project.

I wish I could be more help.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,736 Views)

Sorry for the delay, but I just could reproduce it with the userint\panels sample.

- Change the target settings to embed the uir

- Do a debug build, it doesn't happen in release mode

- Run it

- Put a text message in a child panel

- Build/run again

The text message isn't shown until a full rebuild is done.

Remark: just tried 32 bit builds.

-----------------------
/* Nothing past this point should fail if the code is working as intended */
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,381 Views)

Hello CVI-User,

Your use-case seems to be covered by bug id #433769.

Thank you for your feedback,

= Nelu F. || National Instruments.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,378 Views)