cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CVI 2013 S Functions in File bug: empty ring

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello Electrolund,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with CVI 2013 SP2.

What do you mean by time constants?

Can you provide a simple project that reproduces the issue? I'll be in vacation in the next period but my coleagues could have a look at it.

Constantin.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 18
(2,792 Views)

Sorry, I meant "most of the time, constants dont..."

I was refering to macros and variables.  When this bug starts rearing its head, when I right-click on either of those and choose "Go to definition", I get a "No definition found for..." error.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 18
(2,788 Views)

After much experimentation, I can state that this seems to be happing in CVI SP2 when the Toggle Exclusion feature is used on any line in any file (not just the one where the Functions in File ring problem is happening).

So I have the following example...

file1.c    this file contains a few line Exclusions (CTRL + E)

file2.c    after a while, it begins to exhibit the empy Functions ring

No matter what settings I have in my Environment for the "Generate browse information policy", I usually can't get the ring to repopulate in file2.c, unless I unexclude the lines in file1.c.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 18
(2,767 Views)

Hello ElectroLund,

Unfortunately, I still can't reproduce the issue.

Excluding lines doesn't cause browse info to be re-generated, so I don't know how excluding lines is causing this problem. Excluded lines are just treated as normal lines by browse info.

I've got some more questions for you that might help finding the issue:

1. Can you reproduce the problem only with this project, or with any project that contains 2 or more files? If you can reproduce with a smaller project could you please post it.

2. Do you use precompiled headers(Options->Build Options->Build Process Options tab - Compile with precompiled incude file)?

3. Do you load the project from a local path or from a network location?

4. In an earlier post you said "For me, it does seem to be happening more often when I go into Debugger mode on some files." What do you mean by that?

Regards,

Constantin

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 18
(2,736 Views)
  1. I will have to see about that.  Not sure yet on other/smaller projects.
  2. No
  3. Never network path.  I have these sources in Subversion which I have checked out to a local directory.  For what it's worth, I've got another bug report open that dealt with version controlled files.  Perhaps these issues are related?
  4. I simply meant debugging the project.
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 18
(2,730 Views)

Hello ElectroLund,

I could reproduce the issue. It happens if you build the project with excluded lines and edit files while debugging.

There are several ways you can workaround this if it's acceptable for you. Unfortunately there is no better workaround.

- Do not build the project with excluded lines; comment the lines you don't want in the build instead.

- Do not edit files while debugging.

- Set browse info policy to "On save", so browse info is not re-generated when you edit files in debug mode.

I've created CAR ID 497261 for this issue.

Constantin.

Message 16 of 18
(2,709 Views)

Thanks for duplicating my issue.

The CTRL+E is a feature I've appreciated because it's so quick and easy.  What can I say, I'm lazy and typing comment blocks to disable code sections takes an extra 3 seconds. 

But I've since seen where CTRL+E is a bit dangerous.  I've had CVI crash on ocassion and if it does, all CTRL+E lines get lost.  I then have to go through the code to find which lines were supposed to be disabled.  That's reason enough to stop using the feature, since CVI doesn't record which lines have been disabled.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 18
(2,685 Views)

Fixed in CVI 2015.

Message 18 of 18
(1,931 Views)