From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CVI 2012 Distribution builder always asks for disk

Solved!
Go to solution

I have CVI 2012 and drivers installed on my Windows 7 computer. This is the only version of CVI and the drivers that I have installed on my computer.

However, every time I try to build a distribution, I am asked to insert the CVI installation disk. This is very annoying. Why is this happening?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,046 Views)

The reason you are being asked to insert the disk each time is because this is where the installer for the component you have added to your distribution was installed from. To avoid having to insert the disk each time you buid, you can cache the installer on your system.

Take a look at the KnowledgeBase How Do I Stop the Missing Distribution Notification Each Time I Build An Installer?

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,039 Views)

I am aware of the requirement that CVI needs to install install files from the distribution. I know about the cache option and I have selected that option.

I am still asked for the DVD on each attempt to create a distribution. I must have missed option.

BTW the knowledge base article which I had already read, is a bit out of date ( refers to 8.5 I am using 2012)

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,036 Views)

In the Drivers & Components tab, what is the path that is listed for the component requesting the disk? Is the Change Source option available?

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,034 Views)

Drivers_and_components_tab.png

Heres is the tab. Note that on this tab there is the option to cache future installations but not the current. Each attempt to make the request for the disk to go away is very time consuming so experimentation is expensive. I hope we can find a solution that works soon.

It would help if the help resources were cataegorized by version of CVI.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,022 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author NotTheExpert

Ok, I think I found what I was doing wrong.

Apparently, the option to cache the existing installed software is not an option until you have been presented with the need to install from disk.

(At this point I did not take notes so some of this may be inaccurate or misinterpreted)

On that panel it asks you something like "do you have the installation disks". If you say No it ask where it should install from. Here I pointed to the DVD drive with the installation disk and on that panel was the option to cache. (At least that is how I remember it.)

What was confusing, was that I had selected cache on the drivers... Tab I did not expect to have the option or need to do it again later.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,019 Views)

I forgot to say:

Thanks for the help. Just knowing that something will work is the first big step in finding how to make it work. The assurance that it should work was a big help in finding the right solution.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,014 Views)