LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CVI 2010 distribution not writing / updating files

Hi,

I have recently an installation/distribution of some software created in CVI 2010 to a client whoes PC's hard-drive had failed. They re-installed the software ok and it ran a test but when they came to save the data or any of the machine settings non of the files were updated.

They are using Windows 7 and I asked them to run the executable again as an administrator but still the same problem.

I then sent them a copy of just the application (which was the same as the one they had installed) and they manually copied this onto the PC  overwritting the version that had been installed and it all ran ok.

Is there something Windows 7 is doing with the installation and security/permissions? Is there anything I can set when creating the distribution that can overcome this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,587 Views)

Hi Dave,

It sounds like there may be access rights issues with the files you are creating/saving within your program. Which windows directory do you write your files to from within the exe? For the example the root (C) directory by default on Windows is typically restricted in access, even for the Administrator until it's disabled.

Kind Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,570 Views)

Hi Paul,

The application is installed into a sub-directory of C:\Program Files....

Within this application directory there are sub-directories for configuration and data files. It is strange as this only appears to happen with the original "installed" application. As mentioned, when they overwrote the "installed" application then it worked ok.

Thanks

Dave 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,564 Views)