LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Build Distribution errors

Running Labwindows/CVI 9.1.1 (450)

I'm getting errors when building a distribution:
(See attached PDF file for a screenshot.)

The probelem is not consistent and has surfaced recently in the last week or so.

I've built many distributions with no problems.

I even tried completely re-creating the project from just the source files.

Sometimes it builds OK and sometimes not.  For example I tried it 3 times and it worked.

The first time after I re-created the project it worked.

I took a look at the distBuildDbg.log file. (also attached) It is hard for me to interpret what is going on.

One thing I'm curious about, the log file seems to have a "history" of just about all the distributions I have done.

I deleted distBuildDbg.log and tried again and the "history" re-appeared in the log.  Why is this.

Another thing that shows up in the Build Distributions progress dialog box that shows up during the build:
(it's also in distBuildDbg.log)

Copying distribution 'MurataV100' from: C:\cvi8prj\MuRataV100\cvidistkit.MurataV100\Volume\ to: c:\cvi8prj\KSAToolsV222\cvidistkit.KSAToolsV222\

I don't get this. the MurataV100 is an older project.  I thought I completely re-did the project???

I'm kind of in a tight spot because I can't count on getting a build to work right now.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kirk Mitchell
Project Engineer
Kollmorgen

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(4,223 Views)

Hi kirkm,

In the distribution settings, check that the source paths for all the components, merge modules, msi, etc. are correct. Is there any pattern as to when the build failures occur?

Humphrey H.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(4,199 Views)

Humphrey,

I can't find the source paths.  Where do I look to check these?

There is not a pattern that I can nail down.  Other than it has worked flawlessly for years and now it is having problems.

When I do multiple trys it generally seems to get further with each subsequent attempt to build.

Not sure I really have enough "data points" yet as it takes a fair amount of time to run throught this over & over.

What's up with the "history" of all my old builds in the log file?

Kirk

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(4,190 Views)

Build»Distributions»Manage Distributions. Select the appropriate choice and then press Edit. The Files tab should specify the files included in the installer. Check that they are being selected from the correct locations. In the Drivers & Components tab, each selected component lists a path in the Component Source section. 

Each build should create a new log. I'm not sure where you are seeing the history.

Humphrey H.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(4,175 Views)

Attached is a screenshot of the Files tab and the Drivers & Components tab.

I don't see any path information on the Files tab.  But the files I expect are included in the distribution

On the Drivers & Components tab:

LabWindows/CVI Run-Time Engine shows a path -- C:\Program Files\National Instruments\Shared\ProductCache

3D Graph Control Support shows a path -- C:\Program Files\Common Files\Merge Modules\CW3DGraph_OCX.msm

Remember this does work sometimes without changing anything in the build.

When I said "history" I was seeing the "list" that starts near the beginning of the log file like this:

Complete system distribution information
There are 66 distributions
     (0) MDTestV549Full

You can see that distBuildDbg.log has build information for 66 distribuitions.

(1) MDProdCalV126

(2) MDProdCalV123

(3) MDTestV560Full

(4) MDProdCalV140

etc...

These are all different projects I have on this computer but are nothing to do with the one that I'm having problems with here (KSAToolsV222)

I can delete the distBuildDbg.log file before a build and it does re-create it, including the above project "history"???

Thanks,

Kirk

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(4,163 Views)

As the log indicates, that is just giving a summary of distributions on the computer. It is not a history, per se, of the distributions you have built. If you look through the list, it also includes National Instruments distributions, driver distributions, etc.

For the times when the distribution works properly, you can compare the logs generated to see the difference. Are you removing the files before installing the distribution again? Or are they being installed on top of previous installations?

Humphrey H.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(4,144 Views)

OK, thanks for the clarification on the log.

I'll compare logs to see if I can see anything in the log that gives me a clue.  Of course the error message when it fails is different as compared to a successful build.  But not always the same error.  I'll try to feed back a few of the error message sections of the log from various failed builds.

The inconsistent nature of this is frustrating.

You asked about removing the files after "installation".

Did you mean "installation" or "build distribution"??

Recently the "build distribution" that is having problems is NOT installed on the computer on which it is built.

I build on this computer and install on another test computer.

Interesting that you should ask about deleting because it seemed that if I delete all the files in the cvidistkit.KSAToolsV222 (where volume etc is)

It has worked on the next attempt to build a distribution.

Thanks,

Kirk

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(4,137 Views)

I mentioned deleting files because the log indicates that multiple files in the c:\cvi8prj\KSAToolsV222\cvidistkit.KSAToolsV222\Volume directory are skipped over in the copying process.

Humphrey H.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(4,128 Views)

Attached are logs from 3 attempts to build the distribution:

The 1st attempt failed quickly (distBuildDbg Fail 01.log)

2nd ran longer then failed. (distBuildDbg Fail 02.log)

3rd attempt was successful. (distBuildDbg Success 03.log)

I made no changes at all between build attempts.

I also tried it a 4th time and it was also successful.

I'm observing a pattern:  If you build multiple times it goes longer each time then eventually is successful.

Please take a look at the logs.  Maybe you can give me some new ideas.

Thanks,

Kirk 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(4,122 Views)

The first fail build indicates that a file could not be accessed because it was already in use. The second fail build is related to a merge module. Did anything change between builds?

Humphrey H.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(4,085 Views)