From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADE does not remember screen size

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

Windows 7 provides the possibility to maximize windows by moving the upper/lower window bar to the upper/lower screen border. This works even for CVI Smiley Wink

If I have the environment option 'Hide windows when application is running' selected, after closing the application and returning to the source code window it turns out that CVI does not honor/remember the screen size, i.e. the CVI window size is not maximized any longer Smiley Frustrated

If possible, I'd prefer to have it fixed Smiley Wink

Workaround is to not to use an automatically maximized window... manually adjusted window sizes are remembered.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(4,498 Views)

Hi Wolfgang,

I wasn't able to reproduce this, but I'm not sure that I'm doing the same exact thing that you described. Can you take a look at this video and let me know if it's different?

Luis

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(4,468 Views)

Hi Luis,

Thanks for your feedback, as always! I hope you don't expect me to produce a video Smiley Happy

I am doing it in a slightly different way:

1. Move upper window frame to upper screen limit

2. Move lower window frame to task bar until the window frame 'flashes' and adjusts to full height

I do not maximize the window, only adjust its height

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(4,465 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Wolfgang

Ah, I see. You were referring to the edge-specific window maximization (maximized only horizontally, or only vertically).

You're right, CVI doesn't handle these maximization states well. For example, if you close the CVI ADE with the workspace window in this edge-maximized state, even though the window will appear to have the same size when you restart CVI, it no longer is aware that it's maximized and so it has lost its original, non-maximized dimensions. It no longer behaves like a maximized window.

The symptom you described is another manifestation of the same problem.

I've created CAR 437791 to track this.

Luis

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(4,434 Views)

Thanks Luis!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(4,426 Views)

In this thread I have learned a new Windows feature I wasn't aware of till now! Smiley Surprised

It's probably just one less out of that 10k and more I haven't even heard anything about... Smiley Very Happy

Thank you both for your posts.

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community
(4,391 Views)

@RobertoBozzolo wrote:

In this thread I have learned a new Windows feature I wasn't aware of till now! Smiley Surprised

It's probably just one less out of that 10k and more I haven't even heard anything about... Smiley Very Happy

Yep, and after slowly adapting to the "new" Windows 7 world we will need to adapt to the very different Windows 8.x world, sooner or later... Life is full of challenges Smiley Wink  But let's celebrate that we have passed Windows 3.x Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(4,388 Views)

BTW, I was just curious about which event is received during this type of maximization (a bunch of EVENT_PANEL_SIZING and one EVENT_PANEL_SIZE, that is there's not a special event for this, which which seems correct to me) and found that sometimes I receive an event 54 which is not included in the list of available events up to CVI2012SP1. What's this?

(4,385 Views)

#define EVENT_PANEL_RESTORE              54

I thought it did exist already in CVI2012...

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(4,376 Views)

It does exist: the panel receives it even if it is not defined in userint.h and UILEventString function is not able to decode it.

Thanks for lettimg me know: I receive one restore event at program start, which sounds correct, and also one restore event for every sizing event which could be correct as well, depending on what you mean by "restore". Since I'm not the one that chases sizing events (when I have sizable windows I normally handle only size event) I can quietly ignore restore events as well Smiley Wink

(4,374 Views)