From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

64-Bit LabWindows

I am still running LabWindows 2010 and havn't be paying attention to the new features of LabWindows.  Has LabWindows been updated to being a 64-bit Application?  Is there plans for it?  I am running into more and more 64-bit libraries that LabWindows can't use.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(5,810 Views)

Hi Paul_Knight_Lockheed_Martin,

If you look in the LabWindows/CVI 2010 help, you'll notice a help topic called Creating 64-bit Applications Versus 32-bit Applications. Can you explain more about the trouble you are having with 64-bit libraries?

Thanks,

Daniel Dorroh
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(5,784 Views)

Daniel,

I have a 64-bit COM Object library.  When I try to use the ActiveX Controller Wizard to create a ActiveX Controller. I get an error: "The Type Library is not intended for use on Win 32".

Looking throught the help files in LabWindows it stated that since LabWindows itself is a 32-bit application it can't use 64-bit libraries.

That is why I wanted to know if LabWindows is every going to become a 64-bit application.

Paul

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(5,777 Views)

Hey Paul,

Try setting LabWindows/CVI to the 64-bit configuration by navigating to Build»Configuration»Debug x64, as specified in the document that Daniel linked to.  Do you still receive the error?

Myriam

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(5,769 Views)

Myriam

Yes I still get the same error message.  I have add a screen shot of the error message.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(5,733 Views)

I found a link that goes to my issue

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabWindows-CVI/How-to-create-ActiveX-Control-in-LabWindows-CVI-2010/td-p/183...

The last post states: . However, the ActiveX Controller Wizard is part of the CVI environment and is thus a 32-bit process. If the type library you are trying to load is contained in a 64-bit binary, then the wizard will not be able to load it.

This appears to mean that LabWindows needs to be a 64-bit application before it can load 64-bit libraries.

Which goes back to my original question is the new LabWindows a 64-bit application and if not is there a path forward.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(5,710 Views)

Hi Paul,

I apologize; I didn't realize you were using the ActiveX Controller Wizard.  As the forum you referenced specifies, you should be able to load stand alone type 64-bit libraries in CVI.  The pages linked below should provide more information about this:

Automatically Switching Between 32- and 64- Bit Libraries in a LabWindows/CVI Project: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/2A11A12C31CABDBF86257B570079D84E

Loading DLLs:

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370051V-01/cvi/programmerref/loading_32-bit_dlls/

To answer your question, yes, LabWindows/CVI 2013 SP2 is still a 32-bit application.  Unfortunately, though, I'm not aware of whether or not there are plans for a 64-bit release in the future.

Myriam

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(5,685 Views)

Myriam,

Thanks, I read those two links.  Unfortunately, I am using a 3rd-party DLL that did not come with a .lib file.

Paul

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(5,666 Views)

Hi Paul,

Were you able to find a solution to this problem? I seem to have the exact same problem, please let me know, would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(2,740 Views)

We used Visual Studio to create a DLL of our own that uses the 3rd parties DLL, basically a wrapper around their DLL.  Then we can import our DLL into LabWindows as a .fp.  It works, but it is not a graceful solution.  A graceful solution would be to have LabWindows/CVI become a 64bit compiler.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,736 Views)