From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4K/UHD monitor handling

Hello,

I have Windows 10, a 4K/UHD monitor and CVI 2015 SP1 is not displaying very well.

Right now, I have 3 monitors:

On the left a 1600x1200.

On the right a 1920x1200.

In the center (declared as main display), a 3840x2160 displaying with 125% setting in Windows 10.

There are several problems, but I'm attaching a screenshot of what is happening with Rings on the 4K screen (no Ring problems on the 2 other screens).

There are even more problems in the applications I build, for example bad icon scaling, bad text scaling or bad context menu position. These other problems also appear on the left and right screens which are not at 125% setting, but use a conventional 100%.

Is there any chance to have a correct display ?

I can include many other screeshots to show some of the problems I have seen, if needed.

Thanks,

Frédéric Lochon.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,299 Views)

Hi Frédéric,

You can get around this problem by using an external manifest to tell Windows not to treat LabWindows/CVI as a DPI-aware application. First you need to change a registry key to enable the use of external manifests.

1.  Open RegEdit as an administrator and go to the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > SideBySide
  2. Add the registry key PreferExternalManifest as a new DWORD (32 bit) Value.
  3. Set the key value to 1, with Decimal selected.
  4. Add the attached .manifest file to the LabWindows/CVI installation directory, in the same location as cvi.exe (the file attached is cvi.exe.txt, you will need to rename the extension to .manifest instead).
  5. Restart your machine.
  6. Launch LabWindows/CVI

Note, when it comes to your built applications you will need to create manifest files for them as well. You can take the manifest file created for LabWindows/CVI and change the name from cvi.exe.manifest to <application name>.manifest and place it in the directory as your built application.

Regards,

Kevin Flanagan

Automated Test Software Product Support Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,244 Views)

Hello,

Thanks for your answer.

The behaviour is a little bit better, at least concerning icon and text size.

Unfortunately, the rings and the context menus are still behaving badly as shown in my original post.

Frédéric Lochon.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,232 Views)

Could you post a MAX techincal report of your system so I can see the exact versions of our software that we are dealing with? You also mentioned that the context menus are showing the same behavior, could you post a screenshot demonstrating this as well?

Thanks,

Kevin

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,194 Views)

Hello,

You will find attached the report and some screenshots.

I placed CVI on 4 "corners" to show where the popup menu is displayed (either menu bar or context menu).

I got the context menu using the "right click" key after having placed the cursor on the first caracter in the source file.

On one corner, I've also highlighted the first item in the menu using two different mouse positions (shown by an, almost perfectly drawn, red cross).

Frédéric Lochon.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,185 Views)

So how will this work when deploying an application to a users computer?  Will the registry need to be edited?  Can this be automated in the distribution kit?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,130 Views)