LabWindows/CVI Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wolfgang

separators in ring control

One nice feature of menu bars is their capability of grouping different items using a separator.

Having ring controls with many text entries it would be nice from a user perspective if these many entries also could be grouped using one or more separators.

What would be also convenient is the ability to dim or hide a specified entry; right now it is possible to rebuild the ring programmatically with one or several entries less (or more), but this is some overhead that could be minimized by simply hiding or showing an indexed entry.

12 Comments
LuisG
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: In Development

Laura F.
Active Participant
Status changed to: New
prior status deleted, setting to default
LuisG
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Under Consideration

jared

You can add a separator to a ring control. The help for the Item Label parameter of InsertListItem says....

To insert a separator bar into a ring control (ring, menu ring, recessed menu ring, or pop-up menu ring), specify the escape code \033m- as the itemLabel parameter. The following code inserts a separator bar between two items.

InsertListItem (handle, ctrlID, 0, "Item1", 0);
InsertListItem (handle, ctrlID, 1, "\033m-", 1);
InsertListItem (handle, ctrlID, 2, "Item2", 2);

The first item in a list cannot be a separator bar. 

Wolfgang
Trusted Enthusiast

Hi jared,

I have not been able to insert a separator bar into a ring control using the UI editor. Obviously, this can be done only programmatically.

LuisG
NI Employee (retired)

Yes, it can only be done programmatically. Sorry...

Luis

Wolfgang
Trusted Enthusiast

Luis,

you don't have to be sorry - but the missing feature is the reason I have suggested it...Smiley Wink

Wolfgang
Trusted Enthusiast

I'd like to slightly extend the above suggestion: It might also be useful to have different line types for the separator, i.e. not only a solid line, but also a dashed line: This would help to group different entries into groups (solid line) and subgroups (dashed line).

Thanks.

LuisG
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: In Beta

LuisG
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Completed