cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
Wolfgang

UI editor enhancements

Hi wolfgang,

Thank you for your post. I appreciate your suggestions for improvements to the UI editor and will be in discussions with our R&D team about what it would take to implement the functionality you're describing. I will post back here when I have more information.

Regards,

Collin Draughon

CVI Product Manager

National Instruments

Hi,

I have two minor suggestions that might be useful when designing a UI:

- the option to show a vertical and horizontal guide (as e.g. in Powerpoint...)

- a possibility to zoom in (and back out, of course Smiley Happy)

Thanks!

4 Comments
Wolfgang
Trusted Enthusiast

One application where horizonal or vertical guides are really needed is when you have several tabs on a panel, each with several controls on them. Say there is a tab panel with 4 tabs in the upper part of the main panel, and another tab panel with 4 tabs in the lower part of the panel.

At present it is impossible to align controls on different tab panels, e.g. checkbox 1 on the upper left tab panel with checkbox 2 on the lower left tab panel.

nickb
Active Participant

Hello Wolfgang -

While it's not exactly what you're looking for, I wanted to make sure you knew that you could modify the resolution of the gridlines (dots by default) in the UI Editor.  While in the UI Editor, go to Options»Preferences, and then modify the Grid Line Spacing.  You should also ensure Snap to Grid Lines is checked.

I usually have mine set to a spacing of 10, which allows for pretty fine grain control over the location of my controls.

NickB

National Instruments

Wolfgang
Trusted Enthusiast

Hello Nick,

Thanks for your interest!

While I also have the setting Show Editor Grid Lines enabled, I don't use the snap option. Because the smallest value for the grid line spacing is 10 pixel (which is ok), the snap feature can't be used for distances that are not a multiple of 10, and this applies to all controls simultanesously...Smiley Sad

TheNIDragon
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Under Consideration

Hi wolfgang,

Thank you for your post. I appreciate your suggestions for improvements to the UI editor and will be in discussions with our R&D team about what it would take to implement the functionality you're describing. I will post back here when I have more information.

Regards,

Collin Draughon

CVI Product Manager

National Instruments

Collin D.
Software Product Manager