LabWindows/CVI Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
Peter Cooper

Provide A Capability To Run A Batch File Or An Executable Automatica​lly After The Installati​on Been Completed From The CVI 2010 Distributi​on Kit

Hi Peter,

As Luis mentioned, this feature is already in LabWindows/CVI so I am going to change the status to "Already Implemented". Thank you for your input and feedback!

Have you ever wanted to run a customizable batch file or executable after a CVI Application has been deployed? In my case I do. In my case, I want to automatically run a batch file that sets the Environment Paths in Windows of my executables and DLL's after the installation is completed. To make this work currently I am requiring the person who is installing the application to manually run a batch file to set up the Environment Paths in Windows. Potentially error prone if the paths are not set for my applications. My batch file would be written as: "Set Path <etc> from the command line prompt. CVI 2010 does not have this capability.

In older versions of CVI I think this feature existed but I do not know which CVI version National Instruments removed it from.

There may be other cases that I might want to run an executable(s) that sets up the application up in a default situation for first time use only.

I am sure there are other cases where other CVI Developers who would want this capability too.

In TestStand this feature exists in the "TestStand Deployment Utility" under the Custom Commands tab.   

2 Comments
LuisG
NI Employee (retired)

Hi Peter,

I think the feature that you want already exists in CVI.

First, you have to add the batch file that you want to run to your distribution, in the Files tab of the Edit Installer dialog. Then, you can right-click on the file and select the Options... command from the context menu, to bring up the Installation File Options dialog. In that dialog, you can check the "Launch After Installation" check box.

Let me know if this is what you had in mind, so that I can close this suggestion.

Thanks,

Luis 

TheNIDragon
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Already Implemented

Hi Peter,

As Luis mentioned, this feature is already in LabWindows/CVI so I am going to change the status to "Already Implemented". Thank you for your input and feedback!

Collin D.
Software Product Manager