LabWindows/CVI Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wolfgang

Portable 'Projects' (Import/Export 'Project')

Hello,

usually I work on my projects on two different computers (home/work or development/lab). I would like to see a possibility to more easily move my project back and forth, say by providing two new menu commands

File / Import Project and File / Export Project

I imagine that the Export command generates a zip file consisting of all files required to build the executable (and a distribution) and also exports the editor preferences (probably without the window positions because different computers may have different screen resolutions) etc. The Import command then should load the *c., .cds, .cws, *.fp, *.h, *.prj and *.uir files, import the editor settings, adjust the library menu and load any instruments.

Thanks!

3 Comments
vix
Active Participant
Active Participant

Moving a project from a PC to a different one is a mess.

In the past I discussed with NI guys about this issue, without finding a satisfying solution.

The .cws file, in particular, is a real problem (by design it should be specific to a development PC, but in the fact it isn't) and NI suggested me to delete it before moving the files to a different PC.

I've been really waiting for an effective way to move projects, but I'm afraid is not so easy to have it soon

Vix
-------------------------------------------
In claris non fit interpretatio

-------------------------------------------
Using LV from 7
Using LW/CVI from 6.0
gdargaud
Active Participant
I think a better solution to the original question is to use version control like SVN. If one system doesn't have online access to the repository (unlikely those days), you can always use SVN to generate a patch for the modifications done since the morning.
Wolfgang
Trusted Enthusiast

For me a good solution is a simple solution. Installing an online repository just to be able to work at home seems a bit overdone