LabWindows/CVI Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wolfgang

Mark files for compilation

In earlier versions of CVI source files needing compilation were marked in a different color, unfortunately this feature has been removed in CVI2013. The suggestion is to re-introduce this feature...

Benefits:

Changing an include file immediately shows affected source files

It's always clear how time-consuming it is pushing the RUN button, i.e. if there are files *and how many) to be compiled first

2 Comments
Johannes_T
Active Participant

Hello Wolfgang!

I can see that this Idea Exchange post is closely related to this discussion thread.

A strong reason, why the coloring of the files from the ADE Project Tree was present so long in CVI is that, previous to CVI 2013, the build functionality in the CVI ADE used to prevent users from doing anything else in the ADE, until the build modal dialog was closed. As a result of this, CVI offered an indication of the build progress in the Project Tree.

As of CVI 2013, the build is running independent from the ADE, so users can operate the environment, without interfering with the compilation. Hence, there was no longer a need to indicate the progress in the Project Tree anymore. Due to technical reasons, related to this environment change, we decided to remove this functionality from the ADE.

That being said, it's unlikely at the moment if this feature will be introduced back into a future release of CVI.

Thank you!

Wolfgang
Trusted Enthusiast

Thanks for your comments! I agree that it's nice that the build is now its own thread and I could continue editing the source etc... (although I see no scenario when I would do so - I debug compile to see if an error has gone and only then I will continue with my code, but maybe I'll get used to the new possibilities...Smiley Wink)

Scenarios where I would find the removed feature useful:

• make it clear if pushing the RUN button will start the executable or start compilation
  • show how many files need to be compiled; in larger projects this may be an interesting information (wait 5 seconds or 5 minutes...)
  • show which files are affected by an include file

I am aware that only a small percentage of my suggestions will be implemented..., unfortunately