cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wolfgang

Improved recognition of user changes in IDE

Hello,

sorry for the strange title, I couldn't find a better one:

Right now, if I toggle a tag or set a breakpoint, these actions cannot be undone using 'Undo (CTRL+Z)'.

Similarly, if I want to discard any changes I have made in a project this may not be especially simple... If I simply close CVI then I am asked if I want to save or discard my changes - this is fine - unfortunately this does not include breakpoints, tags, etc. So even if I select 'discard', tags, breakpoints etc. are not undone.

I'd like to have a possibility to close a project in the state I have opened it.

6 Comments
LuisG
NI Employee (retired)

Hi Wolfgang,

Unfortunately, there's no way to undo/redo those changes, but you should at least be able to control if and when they get saved. Those settings (line tags, breakpoints...) are actually saved in the workspace file, not the project file. If you disable File>>Auto Save Workspace, you have control over when and whether those changes get saved to disk or not.

Luis

Wolfgang
Trusted Enthusiast

Luis wrote:
Hi Wolfgang,

Unfortunately, there's no way to undo/redo those changes...

Hi Luis,

thanks for the suggestion of turning autosave off!

It's not clear to me how to interpret your quoted statement: is it impossible in general? Why? The code gets autosaved every 5 minutes, but changes can be undone..?

LuisG
NI Employee (retired)

Hi Wolfgang,

What I meant was that hitting undo in the editor only undoes text edits. It does not undo changes in breakpoints or tags.

Also, when I said that it was "impossible", I was referring to the current behavior. I meant that users currently are not able to do this. I didn't mean that it was impossible for NI to implement the ability for users to undo this.

Luis

Wolfgang
Trusted Enthusiast

Thanks Luis for clarification 😉 So I conclude that the suggestion is worth consideration Smiley Wink Smiley Happy

Right now, after turning autosave off, I am irritated by the popups asking me if the project file should be saved, and if the workspace file should be saved. Of course they should (in most instances)...

LuisG
NI Employee (retired)

I know... I find them irritating myself, but your "in most instances" is the reason why we can't eliminate them completely Smiley Tongue

LuisG
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Under Consideration