LabWindows/CVI Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wolfgang

Goto Declaration

In the process of developing a function one typically has to change the number (and type) of parameters. This has to be done both for the function and the function declaration. Hence I would consider it useful to have an option 'Goto Declaration'.

Right now the IDE provides the right click menu 'Goto Definition', so if I change the declaration it is easy to jump to the function and adjust it accordingly. It would be nice if the reverse process would also be possible...

Thanks.

3 Comments
m-a

Actually, the better alternative would be proper refactoring support, as provided by Eclipse, Emacs, Netbeans, and other tools. Integration with such frameworks, even if initially limited to CVI-external editing, would help a great deal.

LuisG
NI Employee (retired)

I agree that refactoring support would be ideal, but to answer Wolfgang's narrower question, you can already loop through all the references of a function, which includes the declaration, by using the source code control browser. Simply right-click on the function name and select Browse Identifier. Then, select "References" from the middle column and you should then be able to see all the references (including the declaration).

A quicker way is to just click <Ctrl-Shift-I> from the function name, which will cycle through all references without having to display the source code browser window.

All this is predicated on the condition that you have already compiled your project with the function in it, otherwise it will not be included in the browse information.

Wolfgang
Trusted Enthusiast
Dear Luis,

Thanks for looking into it. I agree with you that it is possible to use the Source Code Browser (although I find this tool most useful for multi-file projects). Noentheless I consider a shortcut key or a right click menu specifically for the declaration useful, allowing one click or key press versus several...