LabWindows/CVI Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ciaoa

Drawing updates of Table control are too slowly

One thing, I'm comming accross with very often is, that the drawing updates of Table controls are very slowly, Sometimes, they bring the system to hanging, whithout increasing the processor load, and User Interface events (e.g. Commit events) are not recognized quick enough (up to 30 s delay, depends also on other events, e.g. Timer, HW events etc.).

On most of my projects, I was changing the Table controls to Tree controls, which are much more quicker in drawing updates. But sometimes, I need the Table features (e.g. Ring cells, picture cells etc.), so I'm not able to change the Table into a Tree.

According my expierience, Table controls should be updated every 2 s and Tree controls are able to be updated every 200 ms or faster without waiting for User Interface Events.

You should make Table controls nearly as quick as Tree controls...

Thanks

2 Comments
tstanley
Active Participant

I've had some luck with hiding the table control (or the panel it is on), updating the table, and then unhiding it.  It seems that when I do this it updates much faster as it doesn't have to redraw the changes on the screen as it goes.  However, it's still kind of slow and having the table hide and unhide can be visually jarring.

RobertoBozzolo
Proven Zealot

Hiding the table as tstanley suggested is normally one of the best options available; for this trick to be succesfull the table must not be the active control in the panel.

Additionally, using arrays and calling SetTableCellRangeVals too improved table performance.

No visual effect should appear on screen by hiding and displaying the table if no scren update occurs between these moments (i.e. neither ProcessSystemEvents nor ProcessDrawEvents are called)

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community