LabWindows/CVI Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wolfgang

Decoration element

Hi,

designing a screen layout I frequently encounter the wish to have not only rectangular (and circular) decoration elements, but also one of the type shown below.

decoration.jpg

Only the upper right rectangular shape can be realized now, while the more complex shape on the left is what I would like to see added in the future.

Instead of two parameters width and height four parameters would be required (two heights and two widths), may be even a fifth parameter specifying the orientation of the shape: as shown, mirrored in x, mirrored in y, mirrored in x and y.

Without doubt grouping control elements is useful; unfortunately these groups may differ in the number and type of control elements.

Thanks for consideration,

Wolfgang

4 Comments
CVI-User

An 1 pixel wide line as a new decoration would do it for me.

Bonus: adjustable width and freely rotatable Smiley Happy

-----------------------
/* Nothing past this point should fail if the code is working as intended */
Wolfgang
Trusted Enthusiast

CVI-User:

I wouldn't mind having simple lines, too Smiley Wink

However, frame corners created from combining simple lines probably will not look very nice due to neglect of shadows

LuisG
NI Employee (retired)

Actually, a 1-pixel-wide decoration is already present (sort of). When we added splitter controls to CVI we included a "classic-style" splitter such that it could also be used as a 1-pixel-wide decoration (since yours has been a common request). As long as you don't need diagonal lines, you're set.

By default, a new splitter is 5 pixels wide. But you can shrink it down and choose whichever length you like. And, of course, you'll want to make it an indicator so that users don't accidentally operate it.

splitter.png

CVI-User

Thanks for the reply.

I never thought of (ab)using a splitter...

Since no decoration can be smaller than 5 px I assumed this would be true for splitters, too.

You can fake shadows with two of them side by side. Be "inventive" Smiley Happy

-----------------------
/* Nothing past this point should fail if the code is working as intended */