LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

xls-file on frontpanel

Hello,

I have the following problem:
Measured values were outputed to excel with the report generation toolkit. This works great. But sometimes users want to see the saved values of a measurement. So I want to open the excel-file and display it in the frontpanel without the excel-buttons etc. I also not want to read the data into a array (to much work the valuse are to many) Users are not permitted to change the file (read-only). I won't open the file directly in excel because we are using a touchpanel and the Labview-program is fullscreen.

Can I use ActiveX or .Net for this? I'm using Labview 8.0 base developmentsystem

Message 1 of 13
(3,112 Views)

Hi,

You can use the 'Microsoft Office Spreadsheet' ActiveX control.  If you do NOT have MS Office license, the control works in read-only mode, which is good enough for you I guess.

Regards,

-Khalid

PS:  If you are writing out the measurement values from LabVIEW to Excel in the first place, you already have (had?) this data in LabVIEW.  Why not use it from here?

Message 2 of 13
(3,105 Views)
Hmm, I have no 'Microsoft Office Spreadsheet' ActiveX control Smiley Sad How can I add this? Have I to re-install M$ Office or am I missing a plugin in Labview?

@Khalid wrote:

PS:  If you are writing out the measurement values from LabVIEW to Excel in the first place, you already have (had?) this data in LabVIEW.  Why not use it from here?

We do a measurement and save the data to excel and then we start a new measurement, so the "old" data is been removed. We use the program in the production to setup our products (air-heaters) with the right values (power, co, co2 etc)  and save the values to excel and print the report.
Message 3 of 13
(3,094 Views)
Hi

How exactly do you write the data to excel?

Thomas
Using LV8.0
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't be afraid to rate a good answer... 😉
Message 4 of 13
(3,091 Views)

@becktho wrote:

How exactly do you write the data to excel?

Hello, It's not going about writing to excel (I'm using the Report Generation Toolkit), but displaying an excel-file on the frontpanel without getting the data out of this file. So I mean, start excel on the background an use an ActiveX- or .Net-component to display the opened file in excel.
Message 5 of 13
(3,082 Views)
You got your answer in the response from Khalid. Put an ActiveX container on your front panel. This is on the containers palette. Right click and select Insert ActiveX Object. From the dialog, select Microsoft Office Spreadsheet. On the block diagram, you can use the reference to the properties and methods of Excel to open a specific file.
Message 6 of 13
(3,079 Views)

Hello,

I'm working with Labview 8.0 and MS Office 97. I don't have a "Microsoft Office Spreadsheet" ActiveX object. Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 13
(3,046 Views)
Hi

Just a simple idea: Write your data using the "write to spreadsheet file" vi and give the file an *.xls ending. Doing so you will be able to open the file in Excel, but you could also read the data very easily using the "read from spreadsheet file" back to your application and display it in an array, table and so on.

Thomas
Using LV8.0
Don't be afraid to rate a good answer... 😉
Message 8 of 13
(3,041 Views)

I'm working with Labview 8.0 and MS Office 97. I don't have a "Microsoft Office Spreadsheet" ActiveX object. Smiley Sad

You can download the Spreadsheet control (part of Office 2000/2003 components) from Microsoft's website.  And as I mentioned before, without the license it will work in read-only mode. 

-Khalid
Message 9 of 13
(3,033 Views)

@Khalid wrote:

You can download the Spreadsheet control (part of Office 2000/2003 components) from Microsoft's website.  And as I mentioned before, without the license it will work in read-only mode. 

Could you please post a link? I have searched the website of MS and could'n find the spreadsheet control.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(3,026 Views)