From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

writing in hebrew

Hi again,

I hope to see you, if you will be there...

Anyway, do you know what is 'Numeric Text' ?

in the Vi attached  there is numeric text that is handled as text,

and if I change the handling (as in the picture) to numeric text, then there is an error.

So what is exactly 'Numeric Text' ?

Amitai Abramson.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 21
(1,351 Views)

Numeric Text is the text you find inside a numeric control. You can't create it yourself.

(1,340 Views)

Hi,

I am not sure that you are right, (even though I am 'YOTER TZA'EER)

This 'numeric text'  is a part of the 'Decoration text' .

What I want, is to control programmatically the Decorations including free text like in the VI I have attached.

the problem is that I can't find an conventional way to diffrentiate between them in the Block Diagram,

and I thought maybe Numeric text has something to do with it... because I haven't understand what is exactly 'Numeric Text' (as a decotation).

I asked earlier the NI support and they said they get back to me with an answer.

Amitai Abramson

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 21
(1,329 Views)

Amitai Abramson wrote:

Hi,

I am not sure that you are right, (even though I am 'YOTER TZA'EER)

This 'numeric text'  is a part of the 'Decoration text' .

What I want, is to control programmatically the Decorations including free text like in the VI I have attached.

the problem is that I can't find an conventional way to diffrentiate between them in the Block Diagram,

and I thought maybe Numeric text has something to do with it... because I haven't understand what is exactly 'Numeric Text' (as a decotation).

I asked earlier the NI support and they said they get back to me with an answer.

Amitai Abramson

Without looking at your image my reply would have been the same as tst's but after looking at your image

...you got me wondering "what type of LV object is "NumericText" and I falied to find anything (bmp, decoration, line, text, gif, etc) that would return that class name.

So I am left wondering

What type of object is of class "NumericText" ?

At this point I uspect it may be an artifact from an old version of labVIEW but I am only guessing now.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 21
(1,324 Views)

I started a new thread here for the Q about NumericText.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 21
(1,310 Views)

Hi Ben, tst, (and everyone else)

Thank you for your help,

Do you know a way to differentiate between decorations in the block diagram ?

I can get their references in Array by choosing the Pane property 'Decorations[ ]' or 'All Objects[ ]'  ,

but they are not labeled or with description.

I can set something different in their properties that do exist, and the user will not notice, (like a very slight change in the color of the text or decoration...)

but there must be a different way.

Amitai Abramson.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 21
(1,304 Views)

Amitai Abramson wrote:

Hi Ben, tst, (and everyone else)

Thank you for your help,

Do you know a way to differentiate between decorations in the block diagram ?

I can get their references in Array by choosing the Pane property 'Decorations[ ]' or 'All Objects[ ]'  ,

but they are not labeled or with description.

I can set something different in their properties that do exist, and the user will not notice, (like a very slight change in the color of the text or decoration...)

but there must be a different way.

Amitai Abramson.

No. I think they are in the same order they were dropped on the FP but aside from that, ther is no way to ID them.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 21
(1,301 Views)

It is the class I refered to (as Saverio also pointed out in the other thread). The reason it's under Decoration is that it inherits from the Text class, which inherits from Decoration.

As for identifying a decoration, if you have 8.6, you can use the VIs in <vi.lib>\UserTags to set a persistent tag which will serve as the decoration's name, but I would advise to simply not use a decoration. If you want not to see the border of a control or an indicator, you can start with one from the classic palette, which you can then color transparent.

Hi,

I have LV 8.2.1...

Anyway, I am building a simulator of something with several pages that the user will browse and fill in data where needed.

there is also some permanent data, of strings , so I want to avoid a large number of variables and make this a simple constant text (decoration).

and when the user will move from one page to the other, only the relevant ones will be visible.

I don't know if that is the best way to do it...

I will probably use the possibility of changing slightly the color so the user won't notice it

in order to distinguish one from another  - you can see my try in the VI  I have attached.

It saves me around 300 variables of strings, do you think it is necessary at all ?

thanks,

Amitai Abramson

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 21
(1,290 Views)

I checked in which method, if I have a lot of items the application is more faster.

and I found out that it is faster with the variables and not with the decorations.

You can see it in the VIs attached one for each method.

(I must say that the VI act strange because when the Items "disappear" and I change the Boolean - 'Visible' again thy reappear reversely)

Amitai Abramson

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 21
(1,271 Views)