LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

write to measurement random error code 8 after hours of logging

Write to measurement random error code 8 after hours of logging

I have a VI that logs a dynamic data array using write to measurement file with the settings of Use next available file name, format of Microsoft Excel, and X (time) Value of One column only.

The VI works very well normally most of the time.  Most of the errors occur after about 5 to 8 hours of run time. Trying to force error input to No Errors did not fix the issue.  I have not tried to use the Reset function as I would prefer to keep the data in one file.  I am writing to a network drive but have duplicated it writing to my local drive once or twice.  I use to use the write to text file without issues over days of logging. 

I have not been able to find any posts with this type of error.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,448 Views)

Are you trying to open the file while it is being written?  If you do a Google search for Labview Error Code 8, you'll see that it is a file permission error (not random). 

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,444 Views)

Thanks for the reply. No, the file is not being opened while the logging is going on.  In fact I did do a test to see what would happen if I opened the file while logging and the error recovers as-is when the file is closed.

Sorry about the wording of the error.  I know the error is a permission error.  What I meant was the error occurs randomly while logging. There doesn't seem to be a point where it always fails.  Once the error occurs it does not recover on its own. I have had it fail after 4 hours and after 8 hours and other times in-between.  The file is typically written to once every 5 seconds.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,417 Views)

Check your Windows power management settings.  Maybe the OS is shutting down the network connection (or hard drive in the local scenario), although I would expect that activity on the connection would keep it open.  

Based on your information, I doubt your are hitting the Excel wall of 65,536 rows of data (in older versions of Excel...over 1million in newer versions).  I'm not sure what error is thrown when that limit is exceeded.  

So let me ask you why you switched from using text file if it was working?  I avoid using the Express VI's because they are a hassle to make them do what you need.  Before I decided to abandon them, I had one project that had all Express VIs corrupted.  I don't know what caused it but I could not open them or do anything with them.  Fortunately I had a backup and was able to see what I was doing in the Express VIs and recover my code but I got rid of them immediately.

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,410 Views)

Thanks for reply.  I am looking to reverting to text files since I cannot get the VI to be reliable.  

It was quicker to double click on the file and have it open in Excel as the text file needs imported into Excel.

Thanks again

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,396 Views)