From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

write measurement files filesize

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

i record a lot of data from my plc and want to write it to a measurement file in tdms format.

the problem is the files are very big, if i use the "write to measurement file"-express-vi.

If i use the"TDMS Write"-Function instead the files are much smaller, with nearly the same settings.

Is there a way to use the Express-VI with the same effiency if i would use the "TDMS Write"-Function?

Why are the files so big if i the express-vi?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,933 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author manuwestern

In general, avoid using express VIs.  They tend to just be something that you can put down and quickly have something that will work.  They also tend to be inefficient.  In the case of the Write To Measurement File, it opens and closes the file each time you call it.  With TDMS, that causes a lot of overhead in the file.  If you did a TDMS Defrag on each of your two files, they should come out to about the same size.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 7
(2,925 Views)

Ok Thank you very much.

Just one last question, how can i rename the different signals in the tdms file? Now they are names "untitled x". I am looking for an elegant solution, because i record about 200 different Signals.write to measurement file.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,903 Views)

It looks like you can do that with the Set Dynamic Data Attributes.  One of the inputs is Signal Index and another one is Signal Name.  Using a FOR loop, you can create an array to set all of the signal names.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,887 Views)

I doesn't work, or is it wrong?

labview.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,872 Views)

Solution:

Unbenannt.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,867 Views)

@manuwestern wrote:

I doesn't work, or is it wrong?

labview.jpg

You needed to use a shift register to hold your Signals.  Then it keeps the values you added between iterations.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,843 Views)