From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

write express binary data - can't display it later

Hello,

I attach a .vi where I acquire some data and express write it in binary format (EA sensor data will be acquired at ~100kHz).

Do you know how can I display it afterwards?

I've tried with some NI examples but haven't been able; I've tried making a simple 'Express read'-->graph .vi, but neither.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,252 Views)

By the way, any suggestions regarding data format, programming in general, ..., will be very welcomed.

I've tried to upload some recorded data but I get a message saying that de extension is not valid for posting  :smileysad:

Thank you and regards,

usuario

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,243 Views)

You are not writing directly in binary format but are using the TDMS file format. When you open up the Example Finder (Help -> Find Examples), search for TDMS and you should be able to find some examples that can help you.

On a side note, your code is really not well designed. I would suggest going through the Getting Started with LabVIEW manual that is linked from the Getting Started page when you open up LabVIEW. Next, I would recommend going through the Getting Started with DAQmx guide and also having a look at the Producer/Consumer architecture.

Adnan Zafar
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Coleman Technologies
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,229 Views)

Hello,

I've changed the format to TDMS but still can't be read; I've tried with the Read TDMS file.vi example and get a -2525 error (see picture).

Which format is the most appropiate one efficiently saving the data (text files will be too big)? Where can I get the data format explanation (so as to be read by C, MatLab, ... by other users)?

Thanks for your effort.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,211 Views)

Hello,

Here you have a good comparison on different data formats:

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3727

Since you are trying to log a significant amount of data, I would recommend TDMS or binary format. If you choose the binary format, files can be read in any other programming language as long as you set a known file structure. If you want to recover your data in a binary file. You should know the size of each data set in the file and the internal organization of that data (for example, if you are logging arrays of lenght 32 elements).

If you choose the TDMS file, you can read these files in Matlab or C. In the following link you can see the different posibilities:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/A3663DE39D6A2C5A86257204005C11CA?OpenDocument

Please notice that the TDM C library only supports TDMS 1.0 files.

Best regards.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,974 Views)