LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

write VRML / save as VRML

Hi there,

I want to import STL files, restructure them, want to get them colored (this is fixed and it's working fine!) and then save as VRML. Does anybody have any experiance with VRML exporting, or does anybody know, how a VRML file is structured. Maybe I can write a VI.

Regards Volker

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,757 Views)

This thread has more information. A search gave these results. Go through and start and post in specific if you face any issues.

Mathan

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,746 Views)

I tried the"search", as I always try the "search" before I ask something, believe me. Thanks for your link, but that's not what I'm looking for. I want to write back as VRML file. I need a kind of editor I guess. I don't know 😞 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,742 Views)

@Thermo wrote:

I tried the"search", as I always try the "search" before I ask something, believe me.

That's really good. Smiley Happy

I want to write back as VRML file. I need a kind of editor I guess. I don't know 😞 

Don't worry. Somebody will help out soon.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,737 Views)

Hi Volker,

unfortunately there is no way in LabVIEW to save the scene as a VRML model.

You can use the "Write Scene File" Invoke node to write a *.lvsg file which is in ASCII format (based on the OpenSceneGraph format). You can read it back with the "Read Scene File" invoke node. The following KB list all supported VRML functions in LabVIEW. Furthermore, it links to sites that provide additional information on the format. Basically, you would have to find a way to translate the LVSG data to VRML.

KB 4Y2AFMP7: LabVIEW Support for VRML Files

Hope this helps

Peter

--
Peter A.
Field Sales Engineer, NI Germany
Message 5 of 7
(2,726 Views)

Thanks Peter!

Meanwhile I decided to save back as STL with color information. The structure of the binary STL file version supports this function. But....

I'm using LV7.1 and LV8.6. In 7.1 it's possible to read or write a binary file using the reference of those files and in 8.6 it's not possible to use the reference (or I cannot find it). I'm disturbed!!??

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,719 Views)

Hi Volker,

could you post an example that works in 7.1? It is possible that certain 3D functionality changed. I am not aware of a function that saves .stl files in newer LabVIEW versions. With current 3D functionality, as far as I know, you can only save to lvsg. If it is a VI have you tried using it in 8.6?

Peter

--
Peter A.
Field Sales Engineer, NI Germany
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,713 Views)