cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wire things faster

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi professional Labview people!

Can someone please tell me a shortcut method to connecting wires? I'm currently in a situation where I'm having to drag lots of wires from one end of a case to the other and takes forever to drag each wire. There's got to be a method or keystroke that I don't know to speed that up! 😄

Maybe there's a way to pick to points and boom! Wire there?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 20
(3,955 Views)

Hi Merb,

why are there so many wires?

- Use a typedefed) cluster to bundle values, access only the elements you need in the case

- use linked inputs/outputs, when you want to create several cases in your case structure

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 20
(3,948 Views)

Ok, that's true and I guess to say many or a bunch was an exageration of my part, but i've got like 4-5 wires that are on several cases which after using the :clean up diagram" throughout had just expanded the other case statments ...not sure why it does that when it does not affect it. I'm writing quite a big of a program with plenty of typedefs/clusters/SubVI's and such..it's nature of the beast, but like for example shift registers...oh man..please tell me theres better way than dragging wire 😞

thanks for your reply! Appreciate your input 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 20
(3,937 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Merb

Help for at least the case structure tunnels:

If you right-click on the output tunnel, you can select Linked Input Tunnel --> Create & Wire Unwired Cases and it will auto-wire all cases that aren't already wired and all future cases with a straight through wire.  Sometimes you have to "show" LabVIEW which input tunnel it should be auto-wiring to.

Does that help any?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 4 of 20
(3,926 Views)

GerdW wrote: use linked inputs/outputs, when you want to create several cases in your case structure

I was super excited when Linked Tunnels came out with LabVIEW 8.6.  I abused that as soon as I installed that copy of LabVIEW.  That will save you HOURS in a fairly short time.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 20
(3,915 Views)

AAhh thank you Bill for the tip!!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 20
(3,880 Views)

Simplify structure to avoid using more wires.

Do you really need to shift value throughout all the states? You can try using default if unwired for cases that are not needed.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 20
(3,861 Views)

@adriano08 wrote:

Simplify structure to avoid using more wires.

Do you really need to shift value throughout all the states? You can try using default if unwired for cases that are not needed.

That is a very dangerous proposition and often leads to loss of data and bad architectures.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 20
(3,843 Views)

Is the block diagram bigger than your screen resulting in a lot of scrolling while wiring the terminals?  For many reasons, it is best to keep your block diagrams small. 

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 20
(3,796 Views)

Hi Aputman,

Yeah you got it that's the reason really. I usually keep my windows as small as possible and my VI's very clean. I did the mistake of highlighting all and using the clean up wire tool (forgot name of it) and it just stretched out all the case statements and everything..not sure why it would do some of the things that it did like really separate some connections even though nothing in between. It would take me a while to rearrange everything. I just Ctrl-Z and went on with life, but I was curious if there was just a faster way than scrolling while wiring terminals. 

I was not aware of Bill's trick. It did came in very handy. 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 20
(3,783 Views)